TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Vacuum pump question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Januworryme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vacuum pump question
    Posted: Jun/24/2019 at 3:55pm
hey guys, 64 American 196 flathead. 
I’m trying to get my vacuum wipers working. I’ve lubed it and hooked it up to the fuel pump and without the linkage attached it moves but barely. Once I hooked it up they try to move but then don’t. Everything was unhooked when I got the car and I can’t find the vacuum routing in the TSM. I know the fuel pump is a “booster” so I’m wondering if they will run off of that alone or do I absolutely need to be tied into the intake as well? I don’t have a vacuum gauge but I’m not even sure I have it hooked up correctly.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2019 at 4:30pm
To work properly they have to be hooked up to the fuel pump AND the intake.  The fittings on the bottom of the pump will be marked WIPER and MAN.  Hook them up that way and then see what happens.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
Januworryme View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Januworryme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2019 at 4:47pm
The bottom of my fuel pump has two “ins” and two “out”s and a arrow pointing to the “in” side that says wipers.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Januworryme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2019 at 4:50pm
I’m guessing I hook the manifold up to a out? Do I need to cap the other in/outlets as well?
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 9:30am
A vacuum booster fuel pump has 4 connections.  Fuel IN, fuel OUT.  Vacuum IN, Vacuum OUT.  None of them get capped off.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 9:38am
I would hook it up to straight intake vacuum to test it and see if the wiper motor actually turns on and works. If it does, then try hooking it up to the booster, which gets connected to intake vacuum. I have had vacuum wiper motors that work like new and others that had thickened grease in them and they were tired or simply did not work. It could be your wiper motor, its control cable or the booster that is not working.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Januworryme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 11:59am
yep that was my plan for today to test directly off the intake.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Januworryme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 5:18pm
so close! So I plugged them into the intake and they go up relatively normal till the last inch or two. If I give it a hand it almost wants to rip it out of my hand going down. I got it to cycle a couple of times so I think it’s old grease at the end of the stroke or is there a way to adjust the valve that signifies end of stroke and heads the other way?
Thank you all for your input, you’ve been a tremendous help. 
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2019 at 4:42pm
The vac pump should make about 15 inches.
A vac gauge is worth buying as it's also useful for carb tuning.

The valves in the motor are not adjustable. Like us, they age and lose their flexibility.

Peter Stathes rebuilt my motor for a modest sum, it now runs better than en electric.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2019 at 5:44pm
The proper connection is manifold to pump in and pump out to wiper motor.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic