TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Vacuum gauge connection to AFB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vacuum gauge connection to AFB
    Posted: Sep/30/2016 at 2:03am
For reading the vacuum while adjusting for best idle with the mixture screws on the AFB, which is the best connection? I've always used the vacuum advance port, but I think that's not the finest reading because it's above the throttle plates. If I put a tee connection in the PCV line, would that be good enough to get a real good reading, or is a tee in the brake booster hose that goes directly to the manifold in front of the carb the best method? Other than the vacuum advance port, those are the only two places I can think of reading for vacuum. This is an original 1967 343 motor.
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2016 at 5:04am
Vacuum advance port is timed, can't be used.
Gremlin Dreams
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2016 at 8:02am
There is also a port on the back of the manifold near the firewall that is used for the automatic transmission. That should work.

Chris 
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2016 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by ccowx ccowx wrote:

There is also a port on the back of the manifold near the firewall that is used for the automatic transmission. That should work.

Chris 

Will PCV do the trick?
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2016 at 5:15pm
Should do. Hose might be a bit big, but as long as that works you should be fine. 

Chris 
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2016 at 12:37am
It will depend on the carburetor, but the AFB's I use have two ports on the forward portion of the carburetor, one for ported vacuum, other for manifold. But anywhere you can find manifold vacuum is adequate.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2016 at 8:19am
On my 67 290 there is a square plug in the manifold in front of the carb, I have a brass fitting with the same threads that I put in to read intake vacuum. Purchase a rubber cap and leave it in when finished or pull the brass fitting and replace the with square plug.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic