TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

V8 Crossmember

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinman74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V8 Crossmember
    Posted: Aug/14/2016 at 7:55pm
Folks have been asking about the mount plates needed for the cross member?  Weird that only lately have I heard about these, and wonder IF anyone has a picture of them with the cross member?  Pulled this 304, trans and cross member out of a 79 Concord sedan, and thought it was ready to go?
Blessings
Richard
www.a70sthingautomobilia.com
It Used To Be an AMC Thing...
     No One Understands!
1982 Eagle SX/4
Daily Drivers since 1995!
amxmachine View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2016 at 8:38pm
javelinman74 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinman74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2016 at 9:02pm
So the motor mounts bolt to that?
Looks like mine isn't complete or worth as much.
Thanks
Richard
     No One Understands!
1982 Eagle SX/4
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2016 at 8:40am
Those plates have the motor mounts on them. The square with the two studs are the mounts.  All small cars (American/Hornet/et. al.) use the short mount plates. All other cars used a taller plate. I'm pretty sure the Javelin/AMX used the short plate. Big cars have more space between the block and mount, about an inch more. Not sure about Pacer, but it most likely used the short small car plates or had a Pacer only plate.
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinman74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2016 at 11:01pm
Thanks, and Good News!  The guy I sold the engine too replied that he will bring over the motor mounts so I should be good now.  Also have a pile on little things I forgot to give him, so excellent trade!
Richard
     No One Understands!
1982 Eagle SX/4
raysinvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raysinvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2016 at 7:48am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

I'm pretty sure the Javelin/AMX used the short plate.

Incorrect. Javelin/AMX used the tall plates. ONLY the small body cars used the short plates. Expect to pay around $100 for a pair.
Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler
AMoCoLite View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMoCoLite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2016 at 4:20pm
RaysinVegas...I could use a pair also to complete my small body v-8 crossmember...if you have a set (or two) your selling (for $100)?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2016 at 7:51pm
Thanks Ray! I wasn't 100% sure, now I know!! Since the Javelin/AMX shares a lot with the American (at least the 68-70) it's hard to keep up with what is the same and what's different.

AMoCoLite -- you can cut the tall plates and weld to make short ones, just need the measurement. Or have a set made by a local metal shop. They can bend a set for you using the tall ones as a template, but you still need the height of the short ones. This is something that won't be seen, plus you're already modifying a car or wouldn't need the plates (swapping a V-8 for a six most of the time).  There is another option -- Bulltear.com makes a set of six to V-8 mounts for the small cars. Pretty easy to install, and don't need to swap the crossmember. Still recommended that you swap in V-8 springs though. Many use the six springs so that the car will sit a little lower, but they are softer -- compress easier. That makes for a soft ride but not so great handling.

Edited by farna - Aug/16/2016 at 7:57pm
Frank Swygert
raysinvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raysinvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2016 at 7:51am
Originally posted by AMoCoLite AMoCoLite wrote:

RaysinVegas...I could use a pair also to complete my small body v-8 crossmember...if you have a set (or two) your selling (for $100)?

I wish!
Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinman74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2016 at 12:07pm
My V8 small body cross member is available.  $350 + actual shipping.
Blessings
Richard

No One Understands!
1982 Eagle SX/4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic