TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Use the I-6 alternator on a v8 swap?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Use the I-6 alternator on a v8 swap?
    Posted: Aug/27/2019 at 8:55am
I'm starting my v8 swap into my 82 Concord. 

After talking to a handful of other guys who have done a v8 swap into a Concord.. each of them said they used the stock 258 alternator on the v8 swap but modified the v8 bracket to accept the I-6 alternator. 

So I'm just wondering.. is there an easier way to do this? Is there a possible bolt-in one-wire hot rod engine swap type alternator out there that might work for me? 

If anyone has some input as to what I should do on this topic... I'd be interested in receiving some advice.

Thank you. 
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2019 at 11:00am
DO NOT DO THAT silly so-called "one wire" thing. 

Here's a fact - for the later cars, and Jeeps, they would use the GM 10si alternator. So find the parts from a Jeep V8
What V8 are you using? What year? That will be the telling factor. IF an OLD V8, then yes, the brackets are likely for Motorola - but if a 75 or later, then it will have brackets to take the 258 alternator as it should also be 10si.

We need to know the engine source-  the date of the V8, what alternator it had - likely Motorola if it's a V8 older the 74. 
The difference is in the engine age - the year of the car, not in the fact it's a 6 vs 8. 

The one-wire is for lazy, those who don't know better or the details of auto-wiring and charging systems, and for those who don't care about the ALT light, or the fact that they can't just go buy any old voltage regulator and slap it in because - GM NEVER MADE A ONE-WIRE. Those are GM style knock-offs with third party regulators. 
Go get a regulator for a GM from a parts store and put it in that "one-wire" and suddenly you don't have a system that will charge unless you goose the engine RPM up high for a moment. 

You likely didn't get the whole story or the facts from those "handful of other guys" - didn't get the whole story. It's not 6 vs 8 - it's age of the car/engine. 
AMC switched to GM alternators in later years. They used Motorola in the years into the early 70s (except apparently for Canadian cars and those seem to be Prestolite/AM branded).
 Some had Bosch, some had Motorcraft but typical in the early 80s was GM 10si. 
I have a few of them on the shelf from Eagles, Concord, etc.

So find brackets from a LATER V8 and you should be fine. 

1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2019 at 11:36am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

DO NOT DO THAT silly so-called "one wire" thing. 

Here's a fact - for the later cars, and Jeeps, they would use the GM 10si alternator. So find the parts from a Jeep V8
What V8 are you using? What year? That will be the telling factor. IF an OLD V8, then yes, the brackets are likely for Motorola - but if a 75 or later, then it will have brackets to take the 258 alternator as it should also be 10si.

We need to know the engine source-  the date of the V8, what alternator it had - likely Motorola if it's a V8 older the 74. 
The difference is in the engine age - the year of the car, not in the fact it's a 6 vs 8. 

The one-wire is for lazy, those who don't know better or the details of auto-wiring and charging systems, and for those who don't care about the ALT light, or the fact that they can't just go buy any old voltage regulator and slap it in because - GM NEVER MADE A ONE-WIRE. Those are GM style knock-offs with third party regulators. 
Go get a regulator for a GM from a parts store and put it in that "one-wire" and suddenly you don't have a system that will charge unless you goose the engine RPM up high for a moment. 

You likely didn't get the whole story or the facts from those "handful of other guys" - didn't get the whole story. It's not 6 vs 8 - it's age of the car/engine. 
AMC switched to GM alternators in later years. They used Motorola in the years into the early 70s (except apparently for Canadian cars and those seem to be Prestolite/AM branded).
 Some had Bosch, some had Motorcraft but typical in the early 80s was GM 10si. 
I have a few of them on the shelf from Eagles, Concord, etc.

So find brackets from a LATER V8 and you should be fine. 

Hi Bill...

The engine is a 304 from a 1973 Javelin... 

I have the brackets from a 1979 Jeep J10 with a 360.

I was told that the v8 cars had a regulator for the alternator but my car doesn't have a regulator for the 6 cylinder and I can't install it without the regulator. My primary concern is to get an appropriate alternator that will fit and work properly with my Concord's electrical system. The Stock Concord alternator says Delco Remy on the back.  
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2019 at 11:45am
You shouldn't need a "V8 alternator as you call it. Alternators with external  regulators were eventually phased out regardless of how many cylinders you have. What bracketry to you have for the V8 alternator?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2019 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

You shouldn't need a "V8 alternator as you call it. Alternators with external  regulators were eventually phased out regardless of how many cylinders you have. What bracketry to you have for the V8 alternator?

See the picture in the above post.. that is the bracket I have for the alternator. 
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2019 at 11:58am
The Jeep brackets should work for the GM 10si - since it's a late enough Jeep.

You do NOT need a regulator if you use your existing alternator from the 258.
ONLY the cars with the Motorola had the regulator on the fender - when AMC switched to GM alternators they all had internal regulators. 
So if you use the ORIGINAL Concord alternator, ignore those who say you need the V8 regulator. No - it's not ENGINE size or number of cylinders, so ignore that completely. 
ALL you need to be concerned with is the year of the brackets, the year of your car - and using your stock alternator.
In other words, mount your alternator on the V8 and wire it exactly as it was - and you do not need a regulator. 
Anyone who says "v8 cars had a regulator" was referring to the Motorola equipped cars with the fender mounted regulator and Motorola alternator. 
Again - it's not V8 vs 6 - it's YEAR.
As long as you use your alternator - ignore anyone who says you need something else.
The alternator will work the same no matter what engine it's on - even if you put an AMC 287 from a 64 Rambler in your Concord - IF you use your alternator - you can ignore the other stuff. 

Trust me - YOUR alternator will work on any engine and already has a regulator in it. It's a GM 10si. 
You will be fine.
Brackets, belts, etc. are all you need to think about - and you may have that covered already. 
Install and enjoy!

Auto electric is what I do now - and have since I was in the troubleshooting contest in 75.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2019 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

The Jeep brackets should work for the GM 10si - since it's a late enough Jeep.

You do NOT need a regulator if you use your existing alternator from the 258.
ONLY the cars with the Motorola had the regulator on the fender - when AMC switched to GM alternators they all had internal regulators. 
So if you use the ORIGINAL Concord alternator, ignore those who say you need the V8 regulator. No - it's not ENGINE size or number of cylinders, so ignore that completely. 
ALL you need to be concerned with is the year of the brackets, the year of your car - and using your stock alternator.
In other words, mount your alternator on the V8 and wire it exactly as it was - and you do not need a regulator. 
Anyone who says "v8 cars had a regulator" was referring to the Motorola equipped cars with the fender mounted regulator and Motorola alternator. 
Again - it's not V8 vs 6 - it's YEAR.
As long as you use your alternator - ignore anyone who says you need something else.
The alternator will work the same no matter what engine it's on - even if you put an AMC 287 from a 64 Rambler in your Concord - IF you use your alternator - you can ignore the other stuff. 

Trust me - YOUR alternator will work on any engine and already has a regulator in it. It's a GM 10si. 
You will be fine.
Brackets, belts, etc. are all you need to think about - and you may have that covered already. 
Install and enjoy!

Auto electric is what I do now - and have since I was in the troubleshooting contest in 75.

OK so you are saying that if I use the late model bracket I have then I can use it with my current alternator?

I know there are two different brackets..this is what the other one looks like... maybe the guys I talked to used this one instead? I am waiting for them to send me pictures of what they did with the bracket to modify it.

Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2019 at 12:14pm
The late model brackets are the ones you want from the Jeep. It should have had the same alternator already as your Concord. 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2019 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

The late model brackets are the ones you want from the Jeep. It should have had the same alternator already as your Concord. 

OK. I will try that then. Thank you.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2019 at 1:13pm
Here is the Alternator Bracket diagram for 1976 Jeep without A/C with the brackets posted.
Not sure what the Alternator Brand and number is that goes with those brackets.

Alternator for those brackets per 1974-5-6 Jeep Parts Manual looks like MotorCraft:

D6FF10300AA or
D6FF10300DA or
D5AF10346BA or
D6FF10300BA or
D6FF10300CA

I think this is the same period Jeep Alternator Brackets, but WITH A/C...

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Aug/27/2019 at 1:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic