TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Use a carb on the Edelbrock Pro-Flo 2 intake

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2010 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by mramc mramc wrote:

. I see no reason why it will not work with a carburetor.

Any intake will work, but will it work correctly?
A "dry" intake manifold is designed to move air only with no concern for keeping fuel in suspension since it's injected close to the cylinder head.

needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2010 at 6:32pm
You can get it , It is up $80 on the intake from what I payed a couple of mouths ago. As for parts for the intake.

Your in luck , I call around to get the # a few weeks ago.
I though about using the fuel rails , but decided not to, because of the fuel Regulator mount to one end.  The only thing I will use is the intake.

Intake PN.
27-3531
comes up on Jegs, Summit,you have to call

Throttle body for the intake, this is the Edelbrock bolt on
22-9645
You have to call and order it.
You have to mod the intake and make an adapter to use a carb or square bore TB. Which is what I will do, simple

Right fuel rail
24-3532

Left fuel rail
24-3531

intake/TB gasket

Fuel Reg.
3595       Bolts to fuel rail on one end.
You will have to call to verify this part.
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
The Anti-Chrysler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anti-Chrysler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2010 at 8:01pm
So it is available as a replacement part? Nice.
PMM does make a good point about it being a dry manifold, but I'm pretty sure the OP wants it for racing so it might just work after all.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2010 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by baklys baklys wrote:

It looks to me that the Edelbrock Pro-Flo intake is a single plane airgapped manifold.

How about using this intake instead of the torker?

Why?
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2010 at 8:15pm
(AS for  smaller runner, etc. that a whole other argument)
It does have smaller runners and plenum then the torker that I have.

Should work well with a carb, of course If you were going to keep it carb and not efi ,it would need some work, like grinding the injector bungs, filling in the holes and some plenum work.

74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2016 at 7:46pm
The EFI works with a carb and makes more HP then a torker... The smaller runners are very beneficial ...
JTSLLC1
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2016 at 10:48pm
You should know, Andrew. I think that if it is taller that means there's a straighter shot to the intake ports and the velocity aids the favorable angle of the runners.
a401classic View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a401classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2016 at 6:15am
Did Edelbrock change the mounting configuration to square bore or did you do that mod yourself?  The Pro-Flo intake I have has an odd, asymmetrical bolt pattern for the t-body.  I was able to get just the intake and fuel rails years ago when the EFI systems for AMC first came out. 

'64 Rambler Classic 770 2DR

Twin Turbo 423.7 AMC (short block done)

TH400 / GV
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2016 at 8:01am
I modified the plate myself and opened up the plenum area, plugged the bosses etc. We flowed the manifold with the heads and compared it to a reworked Torker. The smaller runners were right there with the torker. Since we left the runners to stock size for a base line you could port the runners and go right past the torker with ease.

Like Slate mentions....  Generally speaking an engine will respond better to a small efficient port than a larger "normal" port with the same flow, so smoothing and blending without hogging is the best path to power. The smaller runner with good flow will give better velocity and produce more power. I would like to add that the runners are more equal and longer then a torker. You will see some welding up the plenum of their torker in order to lengthen the runners to increase torque. the EFI already has this accomplished in a modern way.

The EFI/4150 with a EFI FAST set up would be killer. Even though Eddy has their own 1000 CFM EFI set up it is limited to 29lbs injectors this limits the HP potential to around 450 HP.  

I.M.O.  once a balance between flow and velocity is reached you will see the difference in performance. Matching the primary pipes of the exhaust is also key in order to compliment the intake... When this achieved.you will have a street screamer....

From the results I have seen on my 401 I can only imagine what it will do on a road race 304 or Garrett's SS 290....

Other then the 29lbs injector limitation Edelbrock nailed it for AMC... They achieved good flow with a smaller port yielding velocity. This is perfect for 95% of the street guy's... you can run a hydraulic flat tappet cam and produce 500HP under 6000 RPM all day long.... No big tube headers, large runner intakes or super high lift cams exceeding .550 lift...  The biggest problem is when you modify the EFI you are going to have a hood clearance issue. 

Hopefully in the future we will see Edelbrock produce an EFI/4150 for AMC. 

Also hopefully they make the larger Victor for AMC ... I have attached a picture of the next size up manifold which is for the 300 CFM + range this is a one off manifold I 'am making for my Trapezoid raised port heads.

Edited by jtsllc1 - Jan/22/2016 at 8:21am
JTSLLC1
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2016 at 8:33am
... a much simpler, off-the-shelf option for a < 6000 rpm street application with a carburetor is just to fit an RPM AirGap. Similar rpm range as the ProFlo and a bit better low-end torque. Seems like a lot of trouble to modify a ProFlo to make it suit a carb ... especially if it won't fit under the hood ... but does look cool.

For an EFI option wanting more power than the 29lb/hr injectors support, just fit bigger injectors and a bigger throttle body if needed.

Why over-complicate things? Keep it simple.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
  Share Topic