TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - *Updated* Farm find '68 Rebel SST I just bought
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

*Updated* Farm find '68 Rebel SST I just bought

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2015 at 3:52pm
Great find, But the black Machine is a 69 not a 68. Look at the Rebel letters on the front fender.
Mark Fletcher
72 AMX 401 with 6K original miles.
70 Mark Donohue Javelin, 390 4 speed with 47K miles.
70 AMX, 390 AT, AC Randall car.
67 Rogue Barbados Blue 290 225HP 4 speed convertible 71K miles.
skynless View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skynless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2015 at 4:13pm
DISCLAIMER: the following is what I currently think, not what I know to be fact, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

From the photos I've obtained, the prototype has '68 rear end (no wraparound taillights, the trapezoidal parking light) and '69 grille (inner headlights included in the main grille), as well as the '69 block lettering on the fenders instead of the '68 script logo a little lower. The car was a prototype of what they would put out in '69 using what they currently had, a '68. It seems much easier to exchange grille/headlight/logo parts than completely different endcaps and taillight assemblies.

Thanks!
1968 Rebel SST 343
1968 Ambassador SST 343
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2015 at 5:16pm
I'll put this a politely as I can... I hate you!!!!!! Why can't I ever find a deal like that! On a car like that! One of my most favorite bodies! Enjoy, and get us some more pictures.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2015 at 5:28pm
Either way stock or clone, you have a great canvas to work with. If you go clone then the vinyl top would have to go ( just don't throw away the trim pieces )If you go stock then keep the vinyl top. It's so period correct.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
skynless View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skynless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2015 at 5:38pm
Thanks, I plan to keep everything tagged and bagged so the car can be put back to originality (more or less). Right now I'm pricing out media blasting services in the SE Michigan area, hopefully there aren't any surprises waiting under the interior.
1968 Rebel SST 343
1968 Ambassador SST 343
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2015 at 7:08pm
Keep having AMC fun. Awesome !!
Ollie
amx600rr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx600rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2015 at 9:51pm
The wrong person operating a media blaster can turn good sheet metal to warped junk....... be careful!!!!!
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2015 at 11:00am
Originally posted by skynless skynless wrote:

The intent is to get a '68 Rebel and clone the prototype Rebel Machine. Unfortunately I seem to have found an all original, family-owned car that will probably be frowned upon if modified.

Tell me this wouldn't look cool:

Great find, and I would go with the original "intent", and build the car you want to build!! These things take a lot of time, work and money, so don't try and please others. That black Rebel looks great IMO!!

Dennis
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
raser13 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2015 at 5:01pm
If a car sat outside for 30 years here in missouri it would be a pile of rust. Must be the cold that preseved it.
skynless View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skynless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2015 at 7:40pm
I'll update with the true state of things once I tear into it. I promised my wife that I'd finish the basement bathroom remodel before touching the new car.......
1968 Rebel SST 343
1968 Ambassador SST 343
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic