TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - **UPDATE** Removing speedo & tach needles on 69amx
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

**UPDATE** Removing speedo & tach needles on 69amx

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jl2556 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: **UPDATE** Removing speedo & tach needles on 69amx
    Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 7:14am
Just a little update for others trying to do this (only for the tach needle as I haven't got the speedo needle of yet). I got the tach face off last night with no issues. What i did was, 1st,  i turned  the chrome cap over the needle rt to lft VERY gently till it came off. Then I removed the rt side screw and rotated the needle up a little and pressed down on the face on the lft side of the hole where the needle comes out (so that the face isn't pulling up on the needle) while pulling the face up on the rt side. You have to bend the rt side of the hole up where the needle comes out enough to slide the face by the needle. Then take the lft side screw out. To eliminate any friction, I used a few drops of oil around the hole and tried to get a little under the needle when sliding the face past the needle. Also, (I'll try to explain this best I can) When you start to pull the face past the needle, the face might pull the needle the same direction. Use your finger as a stop on the front of the tip of the needle to help stabilize it.
P.S.
If anyone has a safer way please elaborate as the tach needle is so delicate.
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 8:28am
Just a heads up here.....If your thinking of painting the needle with fresh florescent paint DONT!!
The paint ,believe it or not, will make the needle too heavy and the tach will not read properly. 

Chuck Page 
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

jl2556 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jl2556 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 9:03am
Originally posted by sidewinder sidewinder wrote:

Just a heads up here.....If your thinking of painting the needle with fresh florescent paint DONT!!
The paint ,believe it or not, will make the needle too heavy and the tach will not read properly. 

Chuck Page 

I had read that before. Mine look pretty good so I won't be fooling with them. I guess if you painted it, the tach would have to be re-calibrated due to the extra weight of the paint.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 7:01pm
I'm told you can use a DayGlo orange marker to darken the needle without affecting the calibration.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

I'm told you can use a DayGlo orange marker to darken the needle without affecting the calibration.

That would be understandable, as it is light on its pigment.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2017 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by sidewinder sidewinder wrote:

Chuck Page

But that should help in preventing over revving the motor Wink
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic