TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - UPDATE Info on my 69 AMX drag car AMERICAN X-press
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

UPDATE Info on my 69 AMX drag car AMERICAN X-press

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wobblyweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UPDATE Info on my 69 AMX drag car AMERICAN X-press
    Posted: Feb/15/2012 at 12:04am
I am trying to locate the 1969 AMX drag car I built in the 1980's known as the "AMERICAN X-press" Disguising features are chromed 4 link bars with ford rear end and Monroe coil overs, modified front suspension using custom brackets locating the trunnion style control arms with Monroe coil overs on the modified frame rails with pinto rack and pinion steering. Hurst Airheart brakes front and rear. Fiberglass 1 piece front end, doors, bumpers and deck lid painted typical red, white and blue with the "AMERICAN X-press in goldleaf on the doors. I sold the car to a person in Brighton Michigan without engine / trans. They installed a BB Chevy and raced it in the Great Lakes area. I have heard that it was crashed and then partially parted out. Any info would be greatly appreciated !!!!       Rick

I have finally found and spoke to the guys from Michigan that bought the car and thw ran it with BBC power. They informed that after the crash, the vehicle was sold to someone in Pennsylvania. They were also adament that the car was on a PINKS race episode when they raced at Maple Grove. Did anyone happen to see it on TV. How bout you guys in PA, any idea where the current owner is ?????  I also attached a few pics for your review.
Thanks.....................Rick   

Edited by wobblyweb - Mar/07/2012 at 1:39pm
wobblyweb View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wobblyweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 1:52pm
Updated my post, hoping to find my old race car !!!!!
Thanks..........Rick
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 5:06pm

I remember an older man blowing the engine in an AMX on Pinks, I also understand Herman Louis built him a new engine. Unfortunately Herman is gone, so I don't know any way to track it down, if in fact it was you're old car.

SKeown
AMX Papa View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX Papa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by SKeown SKeown wrote:

I remember an older man blowing the engine in an AMX on Pinks, I also understand Herman Louis built him a new engine. Unfortunately Herman is gone, so I don't know any way to track it down, if in fact it was you're old car.

SKeown
The only OLD man racing a AMX is in Texas but he may have painted it yellow now. LOL
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 7:12pm
That's a sharp car, I hope you track it down. Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
wobblyweb View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wobblyweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 7:43pm
FOUND IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After 240 reads with no replies, I figured the car was in a pasture !!!!

MADMAX in Oak Grove Missouri PM'd me that they purchased the car from the guy in PA. No, it didn't race on "Pinks"
He is in the process of installing a 430cid Indy Race headed dry sumped AMX bullet in it. But the local drag strip has closed (I have been seeing more and more of this ????) so I may be able to get her back ??????
OK......I was reading my post and "Monroe coil overs", Hurst Airheart brakes, "trunion style front end" makes me laugh !!!!!! At the time, I was on the cutting edge of technology, gluing cylinder heads, making tunnel ram manifolds..............it was definitely built in the early 80's !!!!!!
At this point in my life (yes I'm getting old and nostalgic) I would like one more dance !!!!
Hope I can bring her back home !!!!!
Thanks .........Rick

PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 7:58pm
Wow, that was pretty fast tracking actually. Cool story even more interesting if you manage to bring it home. Thanks for the pictures too... bring more. :) Any track side photos from the old days?
PlazinJavelin
Marlin Wannabe

SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by AMX Papa AMX Papa wrote:

SKeown
The only OLD man racing a AMX is in Texas but he may have painted it yellow now. LOL

Pappy, is that you!! Tell me it is. I've never run on Pinks, not safety compliant.

SKeown
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 12:28am

SKeown

That guy was from New England and he was blowing the doors off everyone on that show until his shifter linkage broke and he over revved and threw a rod..it was a FaaaasT AMX....not sure of the exact failure but it was something to that effect...seemed like a really down to earth person too, hated to see him break like that after wiping up the track!
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 11:21am
The guy that broke his shifted is from Maine, its an Orange 70 Jav named mission impossible. At the time he was running a lenco. Maybe they thought it was Tim B's aka ZZZip car, repainted of course.
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic