TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Universal Transmission Dipstick tube

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darnelld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Universal Transmission Dipstick tube
    Posted: Aug/08/2020 at 9:18am
Hello All

My transmission dipstick tube to for my 343 javelin ( dipstick part number 3191863) is ruined. I want to put in a universal dipstick, but I need to know how far (or if at all) the dipstick goes into the transmission oil pan. The transmission shop that rebuilt my transmission welded in a 90 degree pipe fitting at the original entry point. This modification by the transmission shop did leaked like a sieve so they put what seemed like roofing tar on a series of pipe fitting to the now destroyed tube to slow the leak :/ 

I have headers on the car so the original position doesnt work and I am going to have to modify it anyway

Any and all advice is welcome, I am just not sure how to go about fixing this yet. 

Cheers

Dean

AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2020 at 12:36pm
Your previous posts indicate the transmission in question is a 1969 Javelin 343 BW M12. The M12 dipstick tube curves like a slithering snake in the grass. I could not get confirmation from a header company that charges close to $2K for their SS headers, that the exhaust routing would clear the 1968 AMX390 M12 dipstick tube. So I went with 1973 free-flow exhaust manifolds. Took some fiddling but achieved the clearance necessary. The exhaust head pipes, intermediate pipe are from a 71 Javelin These photos may help you.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2020 at 3:39pm
Here some pix Moderator Sidewinder posted years ago with M12 dimensions for PN# 3191863 dip stick 
1.)     bottom lie from tip: 1-1/8"
2.)     2-1/4" to full line
3.)     The blade is 18-1/4" long   
darnelld View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darnelld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2020 at 4:07pm
I think  my question should be ... does it matter where the end of the dipstick ends in the tube or in the pan (does it normally reach the pan?)... rather than what the length is. My thinking is that no matter how long the dipstick is as long as  it is in the same position in (or relative to) the pan I just need to make sure that it ends up in the same place to get an accurate reading. Does that make sense? My problem is the tube because it is trashed...
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2020 at 5:00pm
Yes your question makes sense. Unlike most oil dipsticks I don't believe the M12 dipstick protrudes beyond the dip stick tube. Therefore if the dip stick tube were removed from the M12 while the transmission fluid read full on the dipstick, fluid would run out all over the floor. The photos above unfortunately do not show a dip stick in the tube and where the tip ends in the tube. So if the tip ends before the end of the tube , how far up the tube is the tip when the dip stick is pushed in the tube all the way? This info and some math skills will provide you with the answer to your question.
darnelld View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darnelld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2020 at 5:19pm
Good advice. Unfortunately I can’t measure the tube length because mine has been modified for the fitting they installed. I am not 100% it ever was the correct length 
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2020 at 10:10pm
Can't find a dipstick tube?

Always check the 'Vendors section' right here on AMC Forum.

Next, remember some of the vendors like Galvin's, American Parts Depot, Planet Houston AMX, AMC Lives, South Texas AMC -they all have used parts... call 'em and ask.

Next, remember how close AM Warner Gear iron case automatics are to the Ford Cruise-O-Matic iron case units (guessing '50 through '66 'small case' iron Cruise-O-Matics) -since they made about one million units per year, you should be able to find a used CruiseO dipstick tube. ...just checked eBay but did not see one this time...

Next, remember this is no ultra high tech tube: you can bend a new tube out of common conduit tubing avaliable from most hardware stores (I made one for my first Marlin way back around '94)

-just pack the tube full of dry sand, clamp it and heat with torch where you wanna make your bend until cherry red then bend it around something round (for your 'die'/tube bending die)

...Something else is to deal with header applications: the tube can be cut to make clearance for the header pipe/collector, then brazed back together (easy fix, for someone who can braze -go meet your local welding shop metal workers)

...or if its damaged by accident, it can have a new section spliced in (hey; if it's metal, we can fix it)

...and polish it too to a mirror finish, like chrome -just depends on how much time you're willing to put into it (fun to learn how to polish; applies to all metals) polished metal with a braze on it look cool IMO

Always clear coat polished metal after thorough cleaning/wax stripper use new Krylon resists yellowing better than clear lacquer...

Here's a pic of how I did mine. This angle cut was made for clearance to the header pipes but not to reduce the length of the tube so the dipstick still 'reads' correctly:

To make room for Rambler V8 headers on a Gremlin, I made this one so there's just enough clearance to get a wrench on the attaching nut/sleeve.

This also serves to keep your trans fluid cooler vs when the tube is too close to the headers = super heated trans fluid!  ...this will make your trans fluid last longer wink-wink (er, the whole unit, ahem)

wanna run 500 degree trans fluid? I don't...

So think about having a custom tube made for your favorite car ..for a metal fab guy, it's easy to do...

Two more suggestions, where to buy good used trans dipstick tube:

John's Auto Salvage Seguin Tx (on web)

CTC Auto Ranch Denton Tx (on web)

They both pack and ship.

Get one for any iron case Shift Command or Flash-O-Matic (from '63 to '70?) any one of these should be a close fit for your car but Rambler V8 requires a slightly different bend to clear the starter motor (then use sand fill & torch bent method)

443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2020 at 1:33am
I think what your are actually asking is how to establish the correct fill level with a non-factory dipstick. This is something I'm going to have to deal with as well. I have modded the factory dipstick to clear my headers, but it is now cracked, so I will need to find a new solution.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
darnelld View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darnelld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2020 at 6:44am
Originally posted by amcenthusiast amcenthusiast wrote:

Can't find a dipstick tube?

Always check the 'Vendors section' right here on AMC Forum.

Next, remember some of the vendors like Galvin's, American Parts Depot, Planet Houston AMX, AMC Lives, South Texas AMC -they all have used parts... call 'em and ask.

Next, remember how close AM Warner Gear iron case automatics are to the Ford Cruise-O-Matic iron case units (guessing '50 through '66 'small case' iron Cruise-O-Matics) -since they made about one million units per year, you should be able to find a used CruiseO dipstick tube. ...just checked eBay but did not see one this time...

Next, remember this is no ultra high tech tube: you can bend a new tube out of common conduit tubing avaliable from most hardware stores (I made one for my first Marlin way back around '94)

-just pack the tube full of dry sand, clamp it and heat with torch where you wanna make your bend until cherry red then bend it around something round (for your 'die'/tube bending die)

...Something else is to deal with header applications: the tube can be cut to make clearance for the header pipe/collector, then brazed back together (easy fix, for someone who can braze -go meet your local welding shop metal workers)

...or if its damaged by accident, it can have a new section spliced in (hey; if it's metal, we can fix it)

...and polish it too to a mirror finish, like chrome -just depends on how much time you're willing to put into it (fun to learn how to polish; applies to all metals) polished metal with a braze on it look cool IMO

Always clear coat polished metal after thorough cleaning/wax stripper use new Krylon resists yellowing better than clear lacquer...

Here's a pic of how I did mine. This angle cut was made for clearance to the header pipes but not to reduce the length of the tube so the dipstick still 'reads' correctly:

To make room for Rambler V8 headers on a Gremlin, I made this one so there's just enough clearance to get a wrench on the attaching nut/sleeve.

This also serves to keep your trans fluid cooler vs when the tube is too close to the headers = super heated trans fluid!  ...this will make your trans fluid last longer wink-wink (er, the whole unit, ahem)

wanna run 500 degree trans fluid? I don't...

So think about having a custom tube made for your favorite car ..for a metal fab guy, it's easy to do...

Two more suggestions, where to buy good used trans dipstick tube:

John's Auto Salvage Seguin Tx (on web)

CTC Auto Ranch Denton Tx (on web)

They both pack and ship.

Get one for any iron case Shift Command or Flash-O-Matic (from '63 to '70?) any one of these should be a close fit for your car but Rambler V8 requires a slightly different bend to clear the starter motor (then use sand fill & torch bent method)

Wow, this is awesome. Thanks for all the suggestions, many of these I hadn’t thought of. 

Since the ford trans is close, does that mean that the oil pans can be used in our transmission as well? In addition to my dipstick tube, the transmission rebuild shop altered my pan with some kind of brass fitting and over torqued the bolts. I have flattened the flange back out with a dolly, but it would be good to know if there are other options as well. I tried to find a pan on this forum, but no one had one available.

Edited by darnelld - Aug/09/2020 at 6:49am
darnelld View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darnelld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2020 at 6:46am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

I think what your are actually asking is how to establish the correct fill level with a non-factory dipstick. This is something I'm going to have to deal with as well. I have modded the factory dipstick to clear my headers, but it is now cracked, so I will need to find a new solution.

Are you going to fab your own? My problem is I don’t even have the thread and nut anymore (when i say trashed I REALLY mean trashed) Interested in which way you will go...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic