TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

undercoating ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: undercoating ??
    Posted: Sep/01/2015 at 9:38pm
As I continue going through the cleaning and getting my j4500 road worthy I am in a toss up about using a good undercoating. One of my thoughts is to use truck bed coating as a undercoat. Second is to use the basic spray can undercoating. Iv heard of some people using POR15 as another type. The bottom of the cab and the bed is getting a thorough scrubbing with phosphoric acid and degreaser, its very clean so what ever I use should stick good. Would like to hear from some people that's gone through this and what there thoughts are. Thanks
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2015 at 9:38pm
Right now I'm testing some POR-15 is the harshest environment I can think of, inside of the deck of a lawn mower.

It was rusted pretty bad, so I cleaned it up very well with a cup brush on a angle grinder, cleaned it with the approved cleaner and prep, and applied 2 coats of POR-15.

Part of my mowing is the edge of my driveway, fine gravel, so the inside of the deck is getting pelted by gravel thrown by the blade.

I only mowed 3 times since applying the POR-15, but so far it's sticking.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
macdude443 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macdude443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2015 at 9:57am
This is an old thread, but I'll offer my $0.02.  I use a good brand of rubberized in the wheel wells (3M Pro) and a yearly, liberal coating of the underside and lower interior panels with Fluid Film.  This is a non-drying, lanolin spray that is best applied when it is still warm so it can creep into seams.  I use a paint brush to apply it to most flat areas like floor pans and the spray cans to shoot it into rocker panels and into the pinch seam at the bottom of the door skins.  I live in central PA and have yet to see any rust formed where I have sprayed.  The nice thing is, it will not crack and trap moisture like a rubber coating.  You can also see through it so finding future issues is easy.  Plus, you can wipe it off with grease remover.  It has a nice smell and is natural.  You can buy a gallon for about $38.

My daily driver ('86 Eagle wagon) is treated with Krown yearly.  This is basically the same thing.  An oil product that is applied heated via a spray wand.  Before winter I still apply some Fluid Film for good measure.  Two years now on salty roads and the only rust under there AT ALL is on the oil pan where the paint chipped off.

Also, for what its worth.  My '01 Cherokee was never protected through years of salt.  The door skins at the pinch seam started to rust.  I applied fluid film with a brush from the outside and sprayed some into the top of the seam using the door drain holes.  That was three years ago.  It hasn't progressed any since.  Took ten minutes to do all the doors.

Edited by macdude443 - Oct/07/2015 at 10:00am
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon
1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
nothingface5384 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nothingface5384 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2015 at 5:02pm
KBS Rust Seal is the improved por 15..company split off for the better..
Then you could do a liquid barrier such as firewall or spectrum from second skin audio
1972 Pro-Toured Buick Skylark Twin turbo efi 355 v8

1973 Pro-Toured Ford Maverick 302 v8

1975 Stock AMC Hornet 232 I6

1978 Stock Plymouth Volare 225 /6
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2015 at 6:43pm
If you go the spray can route, I have used Eastwood's rubberized undercoating with great success.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic