TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Under Side of Fender Coating Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Under Side of Fender Coating Suggestions
    Posted: Nov/30/2016 at 5:54pm
I have both my 69 Rambler fenders off as I had a thorough blasting and repainting on my engine bay. Instead of putting my fenders back on with some surface rust and some remaining factory undercoating on the inner side, I thought I would have them both media blasted and primed to start.  Once I finish the remaining splash shield replacements (almost done) I want to get the fenders back on.  I will repaint the entire car after I get my 360 engine installed within the next 60 days or so but will probably drive it for a while with the fenders still only in the primed condition. 

Is there a product that anyone has used or recommends to replace that undercoating on my fenders once I blast them and remove all the remaining undercoating and surface rust?

Edited by LakesideRamblin - Dec/01/2016 at 12:30am
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2016 at 10:03pm
There are numerous things you can do,
1. Gravel guard ( used on the bottom of many cars since the 80's), usually this is applied to the lower sections of vehicles and the color of the car is sprayed over the gravel guard. Clear plastic decals placed on vehicles after painting & the combination of black plastic rocker moldings and lower bumper appliques has been replacing gravel guard on modern cars. Gravel guard has several different names depending on the vendor, but most professional auto repair supply vendors know exactly what product(s) you may be referring about.
2. Undercoat has come a long way recently, a little research on using a product that does not have or collect moisture is the better product. Don't discard using undercoat again, the products of yesteryear held moisture and caused rust vs. many modern day undercoats that are far superior.
3. Bed-liner material has become very popular in the last few years with the ease of obtaining do-it-yourself kits from many vendors and stores. Again, a little research on product quality is prudent.

I have used both gravel guard and bed-liner material within the last year on the underside of fenders and the rear wheel wells on restorations. I have used undercoat for certain touch up applications.
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2016 at 11:45am
Many years ago we coated the inside of the fenders on my wife's 72 Jav with a mixture of mobile home roof coating mixed with a can of STP. Applied with a throwaway brush, very sticky and dripped on the driveway every summer for years, but absolutely no rust! And this was in Indiana, a real rust belt state. Fast forward to now, modern materials and availability, I'd go with rattle can 3M undercoating or something similar. The RockGuard products are great also, just more expensive, as is the truck bed liner. Any of them will outlast the rest of the car, pick the cheapest and easiest to apply.
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic