TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ultimate CJ7 442ci Restomod Hot Rod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2014 at 10:56am
Jim401

Yep, done spent most of the money and now I am doing the time trying to get this build thread up to date. Hope to have it on the road next month and be at the AMC show in Charleston in July.
Wolfeman64 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2014 at 11:20am
While I was at Kentrol, I found out that they had bought out AJ's molds when he past away. And funny that my first Jeep was a '80 CJ5 304 4 Speed, Rag top, which I bought in 1981 at the ripe age of 17. First big mod, after headers, side pipes, wheels and tires of course, was to put a hardtop on it. I purchased it from Rebel Manufacturing that has at the time in Myrtle Beach, SC. They wanted to use my Jeep for advertising. So they did a photo shoot on the beach and made post cards.

When Rebel Mfg. closed AJ's bought the top molds and my Jeep photo ended up in AJ's catalog circa 1987. I guess if you are on the earth long enough everything comes full circle.

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2014 at 11:43am
At this point I had already ordered a chassis from Jeremy at Throttle Down Kustoms. I tell you this thing makes the original chassis look like a go-cart chassis. Plus all of the holes, weld nuts are in the right place. The only thing that was missing was a rear brake line tab, but this is easily resolved. I am in the NASCAR belt and the guys painting the body are ex-NASCAR painters and fabricators and they keep talking about how nice the chassis is.

I don't have a bare chassis picture so I borrowed one from Jeremy and TDK's website.

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2014 at 12:10pm
My plans from the beginning was to put a 401 in this Jeep. Love AMC power, unique and not another chebby. So on the way back from Ohio to NC, I gave Barry Allen a call to see if we could stop by. I had never met the man before and he didn't know me from Adam, but he said sure would be glad to see you. This guy is as down to earth and modest as you ever want to meet and what a knowledge of AMC's. He had some great AMC parts laying around the shop and the Erb's Indy block motor to be freshened up. He even had some funny heads with the spark plugs through the valve covers. This kept Streetwize happy (Mopar Nut)! I talked to Barry about offset grinding a 401 crank to 3.81" with 2.1" journals, but didn't have an engine at the time. He told me to give Alan 0'Brien a call or see him at the Z-max 4 Wide in a month. I meet Alan at Z-Max, but no luck on parts. Alan has one bad Top Dragster, Barry Allen AMC powered of course.

Our Z-Max group.

Funny Car debris. Amazingly no one was hurt.

Edited by Wolfeman64 - May/18/2014 at 9:04pm
"talk is talk, explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but performance is reality"
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2014 at 12:30pm
The next great group I started working with is Tarheel 4WD in Charlotte. Both Ron Crisp and Steve Owens are great people and Steve is one heck of a great fabricator and knowledge base for Jeeps. I had originally planned on using the AMC 20 rear end and Dana 30 front end. But after looking at the cost of strengthening up the parts and I preferred a little wider track, we decided to use a Dana 44 in the front and put a Dana 60 in the rear. A little more expensive but a heck of a lot stronger. I found a full size Jeep junk yard in Burnsville, NC operated by Jake and Jackie Jacob, great people and willing to help any way they can. I purchased a Dana 44 front end out of a narrow track Cherokee. You can cut 4" on the drivers side and make a wide track CJ. I also purchased a AMC TH400 auto tranny for the build.

Edited by Wolfeman64 - May/18/2014 at 9:03pm
"talk is talk, explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but performance is reality"
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2014 at 12:50pm
The build for the front and rear ends are 3.73 gears with TrueTrac diffs. The front end of course is from the FSJ, but the rear end is cut down from a Ford van. This will end up being a great gear for the auto and 442ci I ended up with (more on this later, torque and more torque and flat). Also will have 33" tires.

The rear end will get disc brakes, as I state in the thread title it is a restomod. These will also be hydroboost brakes.

Edited by Wolfeman64 - May/18/2014 at 12:53pm
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2014 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 wrote:

I have a buddy that I helpped do a glass body on his 72 CJ5 304/3 sp stick. At first he stayed with steel fenders, then glass then tilt nose when he started racing it off road.

Keep going we are with you on this one.

Dave ----

Dave, I had looked at a one piece front end, but decided to keep it a little more original looking. But for racing, very easy accessibility. The only metal body part is the tailgate, because I want to keep the raised J E E P letters. The color will be Deep Ruby Red with dark gray rally stripes. The glass is a lot of work to cut all of the holes, but it is easily repaired.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2014 at 2:43pm
SIDEBAR

First fiberglass Jeep build 1989
- 1977 CJ5
- Wide Track CJ Dana 30 Front End
- IH Scout Dana 44 Rear End
- T150 3 Speed
- Dana 20 Xfer Case
- '74 AMC 401 Bored .030, Crane Commander Cam, Torker, 750 Holley

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2014 at 4:10pm
Back to the current build, sent a bunch of parts out to be blasted and powder coated.

...and blasted only. The steering column tube and mounting brackets have plastic inserts so they will collapse in accident and these will be melted out if powder coated. So I had them painted.

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2014 at 4:39pm
Found an engine with standard bore and crank. Torn it down to send to the machine shop. At this point, I had decided to go with 4" billet crank from K1 with 6" H beam rods, Wiseco 10.6:1 custom pistons and internally balanced. I worked with Ron Shearer at K1/Wiseco. Ron has a lot of help. The only issue with the crank is that it has a 68-69 flange and if bolting to an auto, you have to make an adapter. Ron did mention that they were looking at making one. Of course the one shown in the Performance American Style book in for a Torque Flite converter and not a GM converter, which is .100 smaller. This combo yielded a bob weight of 1712. Should spin up nicely and does!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
  Share Topic