TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Type Transmissions that will fit AMC V-8

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Type Transmissions that will fit AMC V-8
    Posted: Jan/10/2015 at 8:46am
 I have a 401 AMC with the Torque Cammand tranny. 727. Is this a direct interchange w/Chrysler 727/and 515 overdrive Trans. I am trying to upgrade to a 4speed tranny with as low of cost that I can get. I know gear vender offers there conversion but a bit pricey. Can anyone help!

Thanks Paul
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2015 at 9:01am
No. AMC had their own bolt pattern. If you do a search on here you'll find several topics concerning overdrive transmission installs.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2015 at 9:05am
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2015 at 9:12am
No the chrysler 727 and 518 do not bolt on to the AMC engine, and the 500/518 OD sections cannot be installed on and AMC 904/998/727.

But a relatively cheap OD that is mostly hydraulically controlled can be bolted to the AMC as long as you can build the tranny yourself. You take a 95 Dakota 42RH (which is an A500 OD) and use the front case and converter from a 42RE out or 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 engine. That combination is a stock AMC block pattern, converter pattern, starter, flexplate, and kickdown linkage, and the stock shifter might fit (mine did). You will need to make a new crossmember as the rear tranny mount is completely different and shorten the driveshaft 2 1/2". The car I installed it in had no problem for transmission and driveshaft tunnel clearance, but it might be a problem depending on your installation as the back of the tranny is much larger. The tranny is bolt together except for a small sleeve needs to be made to adapt the 3 pin RH connector in the larger hole for the 9 pin RE connector used in the Jeep case.

The above is very cheap, but you need to source the right transmissions, and do it yourself or find someone reasonable to help.

After that if you want to do upgrades it can cost more. Mine is going behind a reasonably stout 401 so I did the conventional mopar upgrades. Finding a decent high performance converter was difficult, the only easily available performance converters are not very impressive. I have shaken the combo down behind a stock 360 and it has worked well. What has not been perfectly successful so far is the OD/LU controller as I used the conventional Mopar aftermarket plan of pressure switches in the governor output and am not happy. It worked better just using switches to lock the converter and OD. That part I need to work on.

Edit - sure would have been easier if I was smart enough to find the thread instead of re typing. DOH!

Edited by Ken_Parkman - Jan/10/2015 at 9:16am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2015 at 5:14pm
The only issue is that the 95 Grand Cherokee two wheel drive 42RE is hard to find. It also wasn't noted for strength even behind a 4.0L. Chrysler only used it that one year behind the 4.0L, then switched back the the AW4. An AW4 from a 2WD Cherokee will be easier to find and sill hold up behind any AMC engine as long as you're just cruising. If you're building a street/strip car you'll have to go the 42RE/42RHJ with upgrades route or use a GM 700R4 (or upgraded 2004R) with an adapter. I prefer the Novak adapter, but Advance Adapters makes an equally good one. 
Frank Swygert
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2015 at 6:13pm
Hi Frank - you don't need a 2wd 42RE with the above combination, a 4wd is fine and a lot easier to find. They were used in the Grand Cherokee's right up as Chrysler rated them as stronger than the AW4, which was used in the smaller Cherokee. In 96 Chrysler started using the 44RE (similar to a 42 with more clutch discs and a better input shaft) with the 318 in the Grand Cherokees, although that case does not fit. It's easy it is to strengthen the 42RE and convert to hydraulic, and the later ones seemed pretty good. As well I did not want to bother with a computer or adapters.

The AW4 does seem to hold up very well however.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2015 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Ken_Parkman Ken_Parkman wrote:

Hi Frank - you don't need a 2wd 42RE with the above combination, a 4wd is fine and a lot easier to find. They were used in the Grand Cherokee's right up as Chrysler rated them as stronger than the AW4, which was used in the smaller Cherokee.

Chrysler was wrong! Tongue

In 96 Chrysler started using the 44RE (similar to a 42 with more clutch discs and a better input shaft) with the 318 in the Grand Cherokees, although that case does not fit. It's easy it is to strengthen the 42RE and convert to hydraulic, and the later ones seemed pretty good. As well I did not want to bother with a computer or adapters.

The AW4 does seem to hold up very well however.

AW4 does fine with a fair bit of power and you should also check out 4.0L Comanches which are about 50% 2wd. The controller isn't that hard to hook up.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2015 at 3:42pm
Duh!! I should have caught myself on that one Ken! The 42RH has to be 2WD, not the Jeep end!!

You don't have to have the computer for an AW4, not if you don't mind a "semi-automatic" transmission. It's easy to build a $10 switch box to shift gears manually. Put it in D, then select gears. I've been running one for years! If you have an armrest and center console it's easy and a bit fun -- shift with no clutch. Can be wired as a four or "five" speed (use the lock-up converter as 4th gear, don't lock until after 3rd). I have mine wired as a four speed with a separate lock-up switch, but keep the lock-up switch on. This is doable because the AW4 doesn't lock in first no matter what, and only the top two gears have engine braking. So you can flip it down to 1st at 80 mph with no issues. Keeping the converter locked you have to remember to switch to first when coming to a stop. I switch the gear selector down through the gears just as if I was down-shifting an auto. Doesn't do anything except going from 4th to 3rd (some engine braking there -- assuming in D and not 3). But if something comes up and you need to get out of the way in a hurry you want to be in the right gear. Going from 60 mph to 1st then coasting up to a stop light is great, but if something happens and you need to move you have to rev the engine and trans enough to catch up to the driveshaft before it will move, and that would be a lot of rpm to catch up to say 35-40 mph in first gear! So it's a safety habit.

The Megashift controller should be easy to adapt to the AW4, but I don't know of anyone who has done it. I made the switch box (rotary switch now, used a couple toggles at first) to check trans operation after my shift controller failed three months after installing, and the junkyard controller I replaced it with only lasted a couple weeks. Got used to the manual controller, and just improved it and kept using. The toggle switches were a pain -- one on/one off for 2nd and 3rd, easy to get the two mixed up!
Frank Swygert
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2015 at 8:39am

My opinion,

Either adapt a GM 4sp auto (700r4, 200-4r)

or beef up a 2wd Jeep AW4.

I'm partial to the AW4, and there's tons of upgrades that can be done to it if you look to what the Toyota guys (mostly Toy Supra) have done with it.

It can survive ridiculous HP levels,

but its not as well known in Musclecar circles.

Grand Cherokees only got the AW4 for the 1993 model year

after that they went to the Chrysler trans.

All automatic 4.0L regular Cherokees received AW4's from 1987 to 2001 (& Comanches got from 1987-1992),

only difference being a od ratio change part way through 1991 (4wd version went from 21 spline to 23 spline output at the same time).

Also beware there is a 4cyl version used sporadically through the years as well,

you'll probably never find one, but if you do its a different bolt pattern and wouldn't fit your 401. 

I haven't researched the electronics side much, but most years had a stand alone controller,

that *may* have changed in 1996 with the changed to obdII, I'm not sure.

Ken Parkman opened up a great option to use the Chrysler 4sp od transmissions,

but I've had such bad luck with them in their stock (weak) configuration that they just scare me too much to recommend. 

(Ken is on top of his game tho, so I am sure this trans would also suit your needs  Smile)

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Paul View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2015 at 9:09am
Thanks for the input. This overdirve is for a Terraplane street Rod w/727 Transmission,  I'm not sure I have  tunnel clearance. Rod is completed and I'm not will;ing to modify. Must be a tried and successful conversion. Sounds Like the Shortie series or the standard Gear vender might be my best expensive option.

I'll share thie with transpission guy to se it he can help me.

Thanks Again!
 Paul  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic