TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Twin turbo 401

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htrdkd69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Twin turbo 401
    Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 11:59pm
Hello im wanting to build my 40 over 401 for twin hx35 turbos and I was wondering if a studed 2 bolt main with factory rods will hold up I wont be running real high psi going to try to keep it under 10 any information would be great
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 12:27am
the amc bigger cubic inch motors are a very strong group all have steel rods and cranks and will put up with a lot of abuse as long as your not beating on it every week end there should be no problem with your idea
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
htrdkd69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htrdkd69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 12:51am
Would cast pistons be ok to run ? Im have harlen sharp rocker would I need a Girdle for them and would a rv cam be ok ?

Edited by htrdkd69 - Feb/21/2018 at 12:58am
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 1:37am
For a Turbo (even with low boost] you´ll need to lower the normal ratio anyway..
So you´ll need new pistons anyway, and i wont cheap out on pistons..
SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
htrdkd69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htrdkd69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 9:21am
My 401 is a 77 block I've read that the later 401 are 8.25 to 1 what pistons would you recommend? Ive seen some 27.5 cc forged speedpro pistons there dish would something like that work ?

Edited by htrdkd69 - Feb/21/2018 at 9:36am
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 1:42pm
40 over with 10lbs is asking to blow out a cylinder wall. I would sleeve the block or go no more than .020-.030 over without sleeving.
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 2:32pm
The best way to go is no over bore if you want to run an engine under boost.  
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2018 at 6:55am
I wouldn't run a 0.040" over 401 block with boost, nitrous, or even 11:1 compression. AMC only recommended a 0.020" overbore on the 401 block. I wouldn't go over 0.030", and if planning on running something that boosted cylinder pressure over what a 10:1 compression ratio would, I'd have it sonic checked for good sidewall thickness. If you plan on running boost you should sleeve that block down to a 360 bore or something you can find pistons for. That or use a 360 block. You will be best off with forged pistons, but at least hyperuetectic (spelling probably not right!) cast type. I wouldn't use standard cast pistons for something you plan on running hard or with high power. Not unless this is going to be a trailer queen show car that will never really be run hard.
Frank Swygert
texasamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texasamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2018 at 8:51pm
If you want to boost  a 401 you really need as strong an  engine bore as possible with little or no over bore.  also  forge pistons are a must  if you want the engine to live  . 
texasamx
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2018 at 6:39am
Stick with a 360 block, or even a 304. Boost will somewhat make up for loss of cubes. I don't think bottom end will be an issue with either, but if you could find a virgin SR block that would be best -- 401 webbing, 360 bore. 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic