TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Twin Stick lockout cable + Big nut driveshaft

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al1630 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Twin Stick lockout cable + Big nut driveshaft
    Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 4:01pm
The engine is currently out of my 63 American, and I pulled out the transmission as well to clean it up. My car is a twin stick, but the cable to lock out OD is missing. I figured with it out, this would be a good time to get that working again. I don't think any of the parts vendors sell this cable, so does anyone know what it looks like and how it's mounted, as there's no remains of the cable anywhere on my car?

My second question is about the driveshaft. When I pulled out the transmission, the driveshaft came off the rear axle. From my understanding, this means that the 'Big Nut' was already loose as it acts like a clamp, and I should be able to torque it back to spec, right?
Alex
1963 Rambler American 440H
raysinvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raysinvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 5:01pm
That specific cable is made of unobtanium. Blaser AMC MIGHT still have one, but last I checked I think they wanted $400 for it.
I ran my '64 with a "loose" big nut rear for a long time. Everything was kind of rusted in place, but the driveshaft could slip on and off the output shaft of the diff. There was no vibration, and I daily drove it back then. Besides, I thing the torque spec on that big nut is around 300 pounds!!
Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 10:17pm
300 lb. ft. can be attained with a 3’ bar and 100 lbs. of force on the end. Not all that hard to do.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 11:46pm
Here you go #1

here you go #2

It's like a fat bicycle cable. Wouldn't be that hard to buidl from generic cable stuff. Pegasusautoracing.com custom makes cables with ends you specify. I had a throttle cable made for my roadster, $50 or so, it's wonderful, solid heavy stuff, not cheap krap. 

It's a weird little car. 'big nut', the excreble T96, the impossible little 8" clutch, the weird OHV's foibles, then the front suspension, all totally foil "ford vs chevy" folk, and half of AMCers with it's ancient Nashcan lineage engineering. But it's a solid well made car, it's flatly my favorite. Just gotta get used to its weirdness. And buy a pair of hilarious comical wrenches.

It was some work to find a ball joint tool *small enough* to pop the tapers out of the weird steering link (drag link).  It's hollow, with a dozen moving parts! Its honestly a mystery to me, but if you tighten the kjoints, it drives very funny on the freeway. But 'up in the air' it has side to side play like a worn out car. I assume you that it's right. I have made a canyon-carver out of a '61, with that weirdo drag link set per specs (maybe 1/4 turn tighter each). It's the only thing in that car that I cannot puzzle out.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

little unc 48 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little unc 48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2020 at 7:36am
The twin-stick o/d cable must be laid forward around the front of trans- at bell-housing area and around to driver's side of trans to push and pull o/d lever the correct direction.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2020 at 11:55am
The FWD manual transmission cars I've worked on all use two shift cables.  I'd be surprised if one of those couldn't be used IF you knew the approximate cable length.  I'm assuming of course that the end fittings would be a detail you could handle.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2020 at 10:10pm
Here's where I'd get one.

* From the shifter you can determine the maximum cable stroke.

* With a piece of hose you can determine routing and length.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2020 at 5:11pm
Any shifter cable about the same length (or longer) will work fine. You just have to be able to anchor both ends of the cable. If you search "custom shifter cables" you will find several shops that will make a cable with whatever ends you want, whatever length. Not terribly expensive... Make sure it's a SHIFTER cable and not a motorcycle type control cable! Has to be pretty stout...
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2020 at 10:05pm
OK Frank's comment induced me to pull mine out of storage and clean it up. It is stout. I don't think my suggestionof the throttle cable will work. It doesn't just pull -- any cable can do that -- it PUSHES. So it needs to be fat and stout. In typical Nash fashion it's grossly overbuilt. It has ball-pivoted guide sleeves, rubber seals, race-car clevis, too many details and parts for a company to actually turn a profit.  (Many things in these early 01's are like this, why I love this chassis so in spite of it's incredible inconveniences.)

I'm reluctant to part with mine. But I can give dimensions and photos if you like. 

Edited by tomj - Apr/09/2020 at 10:07pm

al1630 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al1630 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2020 at 10:25pm
Some photos and dimensions would be great, then at least I would have an idea of what it looks like.

It's not really needed if you want to be in OD most of the time, though, right?

This car certainly has it's fair share of odd quirks.
Alex
1963 Rambler American 440H
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic