TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Twin 360's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2016 at 12:03am
What's your plan for cams and exhaust? A pair of performer grind cams would drag a barn at 750 RPM! Quad exhaust or an 8 into 1 into 4" exhaust tubing? Or?
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
pipefactory View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pipefactory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2016 at 4:53am
Originally posted by Red20 Red20 wrote:

What's your plan for cams and exhaust? A pair of performer grind cams would drag a barn at 750 RPM! Quad exhaust or an 8 into 1 into 4" exhaust tubing? Or?
funny you should mention that. I have one Edelbrock in the motor that was in the RV
and just ordered another. 448 and 472 and 214 and 224 at .050. exhaust will be free flow manifolds with 2.5" duals.
Face distorting torque
10.99@121 mph
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2016 at 5:25am
Kenz and Leslie joined flat head Fords in the V-16 manner
back in the 1940's and 1950's.

They ran three Flatties in a stream liner on the salt flats.

Properly balanced it should work well and be reliable.
Gremlin Dreams
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2016 at 6:21am
What will you be using for a transmission???
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pipefactory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2016 at 6:29am
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

What will you be using for a transmission???

727 I rebuilt for the motorhome. It has extra clutches.
Face distorting torque
10.99@121 mph
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2016 at 6:30am
Twin engine applications are nothing new.  In addition to those mentioned, the 'Freight Train' dragster was one I always think of for twin engine combinations.

http://www.thefreighttrain.com/

I am still skeptical about long term crankshaft strength (and life) in this application.  I don't know of any example that was intended to be good for 50,000-100,000 mile of dependable, fault free service.  But so what, you want to give it a shot, go for it. Thumbs Up

Edited by 6PakBee - Sep/26/2016 at 12:32pm
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2016 at 11:55am
A transmission change and/or rear end change (2 speed) for a wider gear spread to get going and stay going would seem to be a simpler and more efficient option ... or add a small turbocharger or supercharger if you really need more torque/hp.
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2016 at 1:06pm
True Red, but it wouldn't be near as cool.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pipefactory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2016 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by shootist shootist wrote:

True Red, but it wouldn't be near as cool.

Ya that's the main reason. My single 360 pulled fine just had to be patient leaving the giant crater we live in. I could skoot along just fine at 65 mph pulling my Rambler in my trailer.
Face distorting torque
10.99@121 mph
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2016 at 4:09pm
Ok The Land Speed records classes the AMC version of the Spirit of America would have run in were displacement limited , so no two AMC V-8 hooked together. One AMC V-8 with a GMC blower was what was planned. I did a lot of research the History of AMC Motor Sports for Bob McClure on a lot of this stuff. Also NHRA outlawed dual engine drag cars circa 1972. Yes there was a dual six cylinder engine dragster and then the team went to a six cylinder Gremlin . That is in the Performance American Style manual AMC put out in 1972. No one ran a dual engine car after 1971 except in the nostalgia drag races and then mostly for show.   LRDaum
LRDaum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
  Share Topic