TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Twin 360's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 18>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pipefactory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2017 at 8:24pm
Here are the rebuilt engines. Still have to do some finishing touches.
I have a dyno date May 11th.
On the keyway issue, I drilled a .250 hole 1" deep between the crank snout and the balancer's bore and tapped in an oversize pin.
Face distorting torque
10.99@121 mph
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2017 at 8:42pm
Run "harmonic crank failure" on Google images and you
will see that it is a common failure to this day.

Crank mass and strength can work against you at times.
Gremlin Dreams
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2017 at 8:42pm
Donno if you can add another, but rounded keyway like that leaves less bite than squared off keyways. And go 2 inches, to go further down the snout to offset the stress at the snouts end.

Yep, I over engineer just because it's how I think.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2017 at 10:55pm
Oh, I definitely am catching what you are throwing on the harmonics issue. Everything has a resonant frequency (of course that varies on shape, size, density, composition etc.) and that is why you see failures within a certain RPM range. Now when I say resonant frequency I do not mean audible as most think ok it, I simply refer to the transmission of vibration through a medium.

Anyway, I agree with what you guys are saying but in this scenario without any testing I would be reluctant to say the torsional strength is there. I just don't know what the upper/lower tolerances of cast AMC steel is. There is also the consideration of different material suppliers, foundries, composition, etc. These very things could really cause the harmonics between the two cranks themselves to resonate into each other and therefore accelerating the harmonic failure that was mentioned.

This is really all just bench racing/hypothesis based discussion and I am enjoying every moment of hearing the other concepts disclosed to this point.

All B.S. aside this is still the coolest thing I have seen anyone undertake in the AMC world and I wish it the best success. We are just running the doomsday scenarios really as typical of any good engineering mind. 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2017 at 5:55am
"All B.S. aside this is still the coolest thing I have seen anyone undertake in the AMC world "

Ditto!
Gremlin Dreams
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2017 at 6:22am
Oh yeah, not knocking at all one bit... just we all would love to fit that under our humpster hoods. Mwhahahahahahaha!

I bet it could be done with a wee firewall cut here and there and extending the radiator supports out further with a double cross member contraption.

Pipe factory... gots a humpster in your stash somewhere?

Oh, for you guys about torsional twist and harmonics. The reason I am a wee bent on round key ways, its that roundness could allow a small shift in timing of harmonics, shared by both cranks. That wee shift can amplify the harmonics and cause more shifting until stress at the hub and further increase odd harmonics. Not a lot of shift mind you, but adds to the twist already created by loads. Though we are talking about above 5000 RPM where such stress can really show it's stuff against the type of coupling used.

You can prolly get by with round key ways, but every torque intensive shaft coupling I have seen were never cut half circle. Pins can roll and force out under harmonics and stress. I don't call it BS, just being cautious to a critical manner.

All input is good as it allows opening up of ideas before failure.

Edited by 304-dude - Apr/22/2017 at 6:40am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2017 at 4:44pm
I am just wondering if pipe is going to purposely push it to failure or just push it to reasonable real world limits. But yeah, would be pretty wild in a stretched out car body like the Javelin/Hornet/Gremlin etc. Heck it might fit under the hood of one of the big long nosed cars.
pipefactory View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pipefactory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2017 at 9:13pm
Been working on what I call my DECCC (dual engine command control center)
I'll be using 2 Mallory modules before it hits the dyno.
Also one side exhaust is done.
I can't wait till this project is done, my shop is looking like a sh t hole.
I know, I know, please sand blast and coat the manifolds.

Edited by pipefactory - Apr/23/2017 at 9:16pm
Face distorting torque
10.99@121 mph
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2017 at 9:18pm
It sure would be neat to see an FC150 cab with an RV body behind it and this twin 360 drive train.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2017 at 10:05pm
A Sh t hole is what I refer to as "Critical Mess"
Gremlin Dreams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 18>
  Share Topic