TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Turbo 232

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71amchornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turbo 232
    Posted: May/16/2020 at 4:35pm
Does anyone know if a 232 can hold low boost? Around 5lbs. I want to keep my original 232 in my 71 Hornet but want a little more pep. I also like I6's over V8's. I'm not looking for huge horsepower gains but just a little something. Also if anyone knows anybody that can custom fab me up a turbo header and intake that could help too seeing as I don't know anyone local (I'm in Buffalo, NY).
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2020 at 5:10pm
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2020 at 6:09pm
5 psi may be possible, but not forever on a stock engine.  If you're starting fresh, I would at the very least try and find some forged pistons to help you have some protection against detonation. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anybody who offers forged rods, but that would be the next logical step.

I would say the crank is good.  There are folks out there spinning them to 7000 rpm, so I would assume it can take forced induction.

Beyond that, prep the block surface, prep the head as best you can and look into a cometic head gasket and some ARP studs.

I've got a little Turbo 2.2 Dodge that takes 15psi regularly and without protest.  So, using some of the lessons learned from that car, a fellow could easily make a happy Turbo 232.

AND the 232 with it's shorter stroke is the way to go. 232's love to rev and are peppy to begin with.  Turbo and long-stroke engines (like the 258) in my mind are a recipe for disaster.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
330inthemorning View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 330inthemorning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2020 at 7:00pm
Of note, if that Hornet has a 3-speed manual trans, and it's a T-96, those transmissions don't like modified engines too much.  However, if you have an auto, they are a bit more forgiving.  At least that's what all my research tells me.
'66 Ambassador 880 2-door sedan, 232 2V, T-96 OD.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2020 at 7:05pm
I guess your starter is on the left? The auto will be stronger than the t-96 but apparently there is an adapter plate offered by modern driveline so that a stronger manual transmission can go in. 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2020 at 11:09pm
Never turbo'd a motor, but I can offer that the bottom end of the 199/232/258 isn't a problem. For a short time I owned one of Barney Navarro's 550hp test mules for the #50 Indy car. The bottom end was dead stock 199ci, 1966 block and crank. Stock oil pump, external cooling pump of some sort. I personally talked to his chief mechanic, and it's also public record, that when Navarro took on the job he surveyed the current crop of passenger car engines to base it on, chose thwe "new" Rambler six because of its extraordinary strength and seven mains.

Racekilla's thread is great. He's clearly got a lot of fuel and carburetion knowledge and experience. Fuel will be a lot of work. Fuel injection is a common path to success because you're pumping only air. A long intake system filled with 5 psi fuel:air mix would make a heck of a backfire.

"Most" turbos these days -- as far as I know -- do not have seals that tolerate fuel in the intake. All turbo cars these days are dry manifolds, fuel injected at the port etc.

Corvairs had a nifty little draw-through turbo, but the goal there was I think? 140hp, and the turbo had carbon seals or something to deal with the solvent passing through them (gasoline). That equipment is now very very old and expensive.

Edited by tomj - May/16/2020 at 11:11pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2020 at 11:16pm
The T96 3-speed non-synchro first transmission will quite solidly fail with 200HP. Done and done.

The T14 transmission "fits in the hole", is probably fine at 200 hp -- just guessing -- you'll need a long driveshaft but otherwise interchanges (I just did this) but they're hard to find.

Keep in mind there's peak power ("drag race" thinking) and endurance (everything else that's not feathered-throttle grocery getting). What's your goal? Build for that.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2020 at 6:47am
You don't need a turbo manifold or intake. The most common method of installing a turbo on an AMC six is to run the stock exhaust manifold with a pipe running from it under the engine and up to the turbo on the passenger side. A blow-through carb system then just needs a carb made or modified for such (you can buy Holley 2V and 4V for turbo apps) and a tube running from the turbo to the top of the carb. Some people wrap the crossover pipe to retain more heat.

The biggest issue with boost is static compression. A 71 engine should have 8.5:1 compression stock. With 5 psi you will have the equivalent of 11.5:1 compression. With 4 psi you'd have the equivalent of 10.8:1. I wouldn't run more than 4 psi, and even then you'd need premium fuel and some sort of spark knock control.

You will probably be better off to simply change the cam to something like an Isky 256 Supercam or 264 Supercam, or a Comp 68-231-4 or 68-232-4. I prefer the Isky over the Comp because of the quick ramps of the Comp Xtreme cams. Comp no longer lists their older High Energy cams, but will still make them. You need stronger springs with the Comp cams, but I'd get Crane or Mopar Performance springs instead of the really stiff ones Comp recommends -- unless this is going to be a drag race motor run at max rpm a lot. A better carb and intake would also help. If you want to go to a header do the 4.0L head swap -- it's generally about the same cost as a 258 header and the head flows better. The factory header is great, and the cam and intake will complement the added flow of the head.  All in all I think you'd be better off and have about the same improvement as 3-4 psi of boost (on a stock motor). You will get about 0.7:1 increase in compression with the 4.0L head. If it needs rebuilding have it shaved about 0.20" and get a another 0.25 or so compression, bringing it up to 9.00-9.25:1. That might need mid grade fuel to run best, but can be tuned to run regular.
Frank Swygert
tached_out View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tached_out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2020 at 10:28pm

Here is the setup I have mocked up dirty on the intake manifold I modified. As you can see, you only have to build a pipe from the exhaust manifold up to the turbo, and an outlet pipe. You run an oil supply from where the factory sending unit goes and you can dump the return oil into the side of the rocker cover.

You can get all this from a `81 4.9L Turbo Trans Am. It's a draw through (wet) setup. Uses a rochester Quadrajet carb. It has a manifold pressure activated internal wastegate.

Edited by tached_out - May/18/2020 at 10:35pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2020 at 6:35am
That works, though a blow-through system is much easier to setup. If I had something like this (Buick GN is similar, at least the early ones are) I'd use it though...

Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic