TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Tung-Sol Sealed Beams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by sidewinder sidewinder wrote:

In the original posts Ian posted that the 69 had the 6012 and 70 had the 6014 bulbs which was a misprint that he corrected the next day.   Just to be clear....67-68 had the Tung Sol 6012 under part # 3202092, Listed as GE but were all Tung Sol as GE owned Tung Sol.  The 69 and 70 had the 6012-S under part# 4486754 (Thus the # change) in 71 they changed to the 6014-S ....The S was a designation for the guard Glow lamp which had a filament that would keep a dull light on even if the main lamp burned out. This was published as a safety item on the window sticker in 70 .  GE had bought Tung Sol if my information is correct so the book says GE but the cars had the Tung Sol bulbs... 

Chuck Page        

Chuck, your original post on this, before you edited it, was also incorrect.    Now it's correct :)

Guard-glo was introduced in 69. 6014-s replaced 6012-s in 71 advertised as "25 feet more light" I have a 71 or 72 TS catalog and it's part of Wagner / Lockheed at that point.

A 6012 is very hard to find.

The date code is inked on the back with the PN
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 6:52pm
Other than for pure stock class, very serious judging, these are all really poor headlights from a lighting standpoint.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

Other than for pure stock class, very serious judging, these are all really poor headlights from a lighting standpoint.

I agree with that. I have never owned any vehicle in that class.
To serious for me.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

Originally posted by sidewinder sidewinder wrote:

In the original posts Ian posted that the 69 had the 6012 and 70 had the 6014 bulbs which was a misprint that he corrected the next day.   Just to be clear....67-68 had the Tung Sol 6012 under part # 3202092, Listed as GE but were all Tung Sol as GE owned Tung Sol.  The 69 and 70 had the 6012-S under part# 4486754 (Thus the # change) in 71 they changed to the 6014-S ....The S was a designation for the guard Glow lamp which had a filament that would keep a dull light on even if the main lamp burned out. This was published as a safety item on the window sticker in 70 .  GE had bought Tung Sol if my information is correct so the book says GE but the cars had the Tung Sol bulbs... 

Chuck Page        

Chuck, your original post on this, before you edited it, was also incorrect.    Now it's correct :)

Guard-glo was introduced in 69. 6014-s replaced 6012-s in 71 advertised as "25 feet more light" I have a 71 or 72 TS catalog and it's part of Wagner / Lockheed at that point.

A 6012 is very hard to find.

The date code is inked on the back with the PN

All good Steve....as long as we got it right.!   I have had several regular 6912 bulbs and sold them all along the way.  I currently  only have two NOS 6012-S left.  

Chuck
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

Agreed.  I put some Tung-Sols in for Auburn, but will probably take them out and put the halogens back in after the show.  Easy swap on the '69s if you drop the bumper a couple inches.

BTW, the ink marking on the back is very fragile.  I went to wash the dirt from the one bulb I had that was marked and the ink went with it.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2018 at 5:05pm
I have two Wagner bulbs that look like the ones on the right. They might have come in my 76 Jeep truck when I bought it new. I remember replacing the originals with halogens, but forgot what I did with the originals. I also have a 66 Jeep, so maybe that is where they came from.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2018 at 5:14pm
Tung-Sol became part of Wagner in the 1950s.  The Tung-Sol name was dropped completely somewhere around 1971.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2018 at 6:57pm
For stock judging one cannot argue that the TungSol GuardGlo headlights are correct for all AMC models in 1969, 1970 and maybe beyond. Having said that, I do not know if the judging rules stipulate these headlights as a requirement for a pure stock car. Rules can be written that allow for safety related upgrades if the upgrades are "stock appearing". In the headlight and tail light areas our beloved cars are sub standard by today's standards. Replacement sealed beam Halogen headlights from any of the major lamp manufacturers do look like a stock headlight but do offer a noticeable improvement in night driving. This should be acceptable, without any points penalty for any show car that is licensed for and is street driven from time to time. Along the same lines, the newest of the red LED tail lamp bulbs, especially those with the 100+ led elements, such as those sold by JDM-astar, make an ENORMOUS difference in the rear lighting visibility and cannot be told from a standard lamp visually once installed. These LED lamps have a very fast attack and decay time and are MUCH brighter which can mean the difference in a possible rear end collision situation. So many of the drivers today, especially those younger ones, are easily distracted from their driving duties. The brake light and turn signal action is much more immediate and eye catching than the rather slow and less distinct lighting level difference that is characteristic of incandescent bulbs. Use of the LED bulbs in the rear with the standard bulbs in the front park/turn signals works perfectly with the stock flasher.
Another factor is these LED bulbs draw so little current that the electrical load is much less reducing wiring related voltage drop issues at the lamp.   
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2018 at 7:57pm
C'mon, stock is stock; like it left the factory. Safety related substitions is a new Civic with 12 airbags, real tires, ABS....
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 3:26am
I agree, stock is as it left the factory. Absolutely right for Concours judging and trailered show cars. Not the best idea for a car that is street driven, stock or otherwise.
Especially a concern today with all the texting and other distractions while driving. Why put a car that you enjoy driving on the street at risk ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic