TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Trying to tread lightly as a newbie, but,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas Transit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trying to tread lightly as a newbie, but,
    Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 8:08am
Having many other makes of cars I do realize that there are a lot of people that are really opposed to putting an off brand motor in their car, For the most part, I am of that mindset,and if I wanted to do that then I will figure it out on my own as I am not looking to ruffle feathers here.

So, with that said, I have a 68 Javelin that has all original motor, 290 2v, tranny is a 4spd 2.43, rear is an open 3.15 and all in rough shape, motor locked up, tranny probably needs to be gone thru and the rear brakes are rusted fast.

I want this car to be a jump in and drive it anywhere, reliably, probably 8 months out of the year in all kinds of temps. Run down the highway at 75mph effortlessly.

SO, what is it going to take to do this reliably, in other words, NOT overheat in 100degree traffic, and idle at cold start up in 30degree weather.

From past exp. what is available for gas, and a carb no longer mix well, boiling points are too low, I just went thru that this past summer with my 69 Firebird 400,so what is available for EFI for the AMC?

How is the stock cooling system, oiling system, basically, give me all the bad stuff and weak links, so I know where to concentrate my funds.

Thanks Stan

Edited by Kansas Transit - Oct/29/2014 at 8:12am
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 8:29am
No weak links that other makes don't have also. 290 is a solid, reliable engine but pistons for a rebuild are scarce. Custom forged pistons are not too bad and cost the same for any make. Fuel injection systems are available widely and the stocker based ones are cost effective. A properly set up AMC 290 with port injection and overdrive could easily result in 25 MPG cruising on the hwy. Budget depending of course....
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

Kansas Transit View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas Transit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 9:07am
I would go liteweight pistons/rods, no oiling issues with the bottom end?

Also, stock crank good for 300+ hp? Roller cams available? Intakes with inj, bunges?

Are you guys filling the lower half of the blocks? How are the stock main caps? Preferred balancers? Eldelbrock heads?
BDCVG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 9:33am
Find a 360
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas Transit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 11:03am
Originally posted by BDCVG BDCVG wrote:

Find a 360

Why a 360? IOW, if I am going to jump that far why not a 401?
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 11:06am
  ( tranny is a 4spd 2.43 )     How did you ID the trans, the casting # on the pass. side of the main case or from a metal tag bolted to the tail housing?
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Kansas Transit Kansas Transit wrote:

Originally posted by BDCVG BDCVG wrote:

Find a 360

Why a 360? IOW, if I am going to jump that far why not a 401?

Mostly because 360's are cheap and easily available. A 401 or 390 is relatively rare and much more expensive to get. A complete rebuildable 401 or 390 core can cost almost $1000 if not more.

Since you have a T10 Manual transmission there won't be nearly as many problems swapping a later gen III engine in place of the gen II.

The biggest problems of reliability you may run in to is the two piece axles in the rear end, and the stock oil pan. Moser makes aftermarket axles for the AMC 20. Canton and Milodon make a road race style extra capacity oil pan.

The bottom end on a AMC V8 is very stout you won't need to worry about block filler unless you are looking to make well over 450 horsepower.
There are roller cams and lifters available, but I would suggest avoiding them for the time being, too many problems involving incorrectly made parts.
Edelbrock makes a muli-point fuel injection system for the AMC V8.

Edited by akimmet - Oct/29/2014 at 12:01pm
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas Transit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 11:48am
Casting number was a T10"P" I read on here that equated to a 2.43? Not correct?

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas Transit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 11:55am
I understand what you are saying on the tranny, but that leaves me with a dilemma, which is I either have to run a really tall rear gear, tall tire, and the four speed, or I need to move up to an overdrive tranny.

Just to compare, my 69 Firebird is running .60 400 with a Turbo 400 1:1 high gear, I am running a 2:78 rear gear WITH a 28.5 tall rear tire.

Because of the convertor the car still gets out decently and will cruise at 75mph at only 2200, BUT, not being familiar with AMC's AND it being a stick car (no torque multiplication) I'm not sure that setup would work as well?

Thanks Stan
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Kansas Transit Kansas Transit wrote:

Casting number was a T10"P" I read on here that equated to a 2.43? Not correct?

All of the AMC main cases are T10P-1B   Look for a sheet metal tag on one of the bolts that fastens the tailhousing to the main case. The # on the tag will be T10-T or T10-V , the T10-P was used in 66. The T was 67 & early 68, the V was late 68 & up.
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic