TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Trunnion removal for V-8 cars only

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2015 at 2:35pm
This trunnion spring removal method is probably best done with the weight of the engine/transmission still in the car for safety reasons
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
dpimm View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2015 at 2:40pm
just as an FYI- if you are going to do this, or any of the front suspension and you do not know when it was last worked on, if ever, hit every bolt with PB Blaster or whatever penetrating oil you like' every day a week or two before going at it. I only have a small impact gun and a couple of the bolts would not break loose... not after hitting with penetrating oil and heat until they were cherry red.

This is a camber bolt that I snapped with an 18" long 1/2" breaker bar... I guess I can still generate some torque for a decrepit, rapidly aging guy. FYI_ those are $19 a pop plus shipping from APD. I also snapped another bolt off on the steering knuckle on the same side. I know the car had sat since at least 1986 without anybody touching the suspension, so I guess the bolts were happy where they were. LOL

Edited by dpimm - Aug/06/2015 at 2:45pm
dpimm View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2015 at 2:43pm
 AMXFSTBK390 - mine was in, but I would not think it mattered. The only reason using the traditional method that the engine and tranny need to be in the car is to help compress the spring to insert the spring tool. Since this method works without needing to compress the spring, I am not sure why it would matter. I will ask Jim his thoughts....

Edited by dpimm - Aug/06/2015 at 2:46pm
Rogue343 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2015 at 5:19pm
In the last photo with the spring removed from the car, it shows two of the small aftermarket spring compressors near the top of the spring.  Are these necessary for the procedure or did your car already happen to have these in place?

Always wondered if something like this would work.  Looked at my 67 V8 Rogue just out of curiosity.  With the car sitting on the ground, measuring from the bottom of the upper control arm to where it would bottom out on the inner fender is approx 2 inches.  With the strut rod and shock removed to allow the upper control arms to drop to that point, how far do you have to compress the spring to remove it with the tool, I'll call it the 'old fashioned' way?  Seems like that 2 inches of drop should already have taken a lot of pressure off the spring.  Never going to be completely comfortable working with these but the procedure outlined here does make some sense.

I think I'll try it on my brothers BBG AMX we're restoring.  Think I'll let him take the bolts out and hold the spring while I operate the jack! Wink
1967 Rambler Rogue 'X' code 343 4 speed
1966 Rambler American 440 4 door Factory 290 (now 360) 4 speed VIN 100003
dpimm View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2015 at 9:32pm
Those little spring compressors were on the car when I got it and have been on that car for probably 40 years.. lol It was an old school way of dropping the front end without cutting the spring or making a drop plate.
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2015 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by dpimm dpimm wrote:

<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 15.27272605896px; : rgb240, 241, 245;">AMXFSTBK390</span> - mine was in, but I would not think it mattered. The only reason using the traditional method that the engine and tranny need to be in the car is to help compress the spring to insert the spring tool. Since this method works without needing to compress the spring, I am not sure why it would matter. I will ask Jim his thoughts....

It seems the engine and transmission weight help compress the trunnion spring when a car is parked. A car without the engine and transmission sits higher because the spring has less stored energy. This may indicate when the car frame is supported on jack stands, the engine/trans are out of the car, the motorcycle lift is under the lower control arm and raised to make removal of the upper trunnion outer bolt easier, and the moment the bolt is removed the car lifts instantly because it doesn't have the weight of the eng/trans bearing down on the spring, and the spring simultaneously comes flying out, ruining your day. I am curious about what Jim will have to say.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
dpimm View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2015 at 11:21pm
with the wheels off and the car on jack stands, the weight of the engine and trans are irrelevant because the front suspension is not holding weight... there may be a minimal load on the spring just from the compression between the frame rail and the upper control arm, but that is it... 

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2015 at 12:50am
Seems like a clever way to handle a difficult (and potentially dangerous) job.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

tom67 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2015 at 6:00am
Thanks for sharing this is a project for down the road but will definitely try this. 
Tom
1967 Ambassador DPL
AMO #10582
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2015 at 7:06am
I talked with GaryJav before he made his spring tool. The factory tool holds the spring compressed A LOT. We discussed this and he decided to make his tool longer, so it hold the spring with less compression. That tool won't work on a 63-66 Classic/Ambo/Marlin because the upper spring "socket" is too tight. I make some simple 1/2" wide x 1/8" thick steel hooks to hold the spring. I make them so the spring needs just enough compression to get the lower hook on -- about 1/4-3/8" over the way it sits in the car with engine and trans. Simply have to pull down on a fender to get the hook on. To remove the spring the shock has to be taken loose, but there is just enough room to get it off. As long as the spring stays straight there is no issue. With all that pressure it will stay straight. I don't know what it would take to make it move, and don't intend to find out, but it would take a lot of force. I don't think simply dropping it would be enough, but I handle it gingerly anyway, and only move as far as necessary... just enough to put it under the front "frame" rail. That's what I use to get the hooks off (and back on).  Without the engine in the car it won't compress enough though. On a big trunnion car I'm pretty sure the spring won't come out by dropping the arm, but I've only pulled six cylinder 63-66 suspensions apart, haven't had to do a V-8. As noted, the six cylinder springs are softer but taller.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic