TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Transmission to engine adapter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj-hellion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission to engine adapter
    Posted: May/04/2010 at 10:09pm
I was told that I had to make an adapter to fit a amc 727 or T400 behind a pre 70 block (343cid)
Does anyone have information on that, like a print or sketch with what  type of steel to use.
I’m trying to make a decision on when or if I start my restoration on my 68 javelin

thanks  Big smile
Hold on boys I’m going to stand on it

FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 10:45pm

There is no adapter between motor & trany needed if you use an AMC bell housing 727 or TH400.

What I think you are talking about is the crank adapter. This fits on the end of the crank shaft so you can use the above tranys. Now because this will make the crank shaft longer there is a "spacer plate" that sit between motor & trany.
There or 2 different adapters, 1 is a bolt on and the other needs machine work to crank (read motor rebuild) to use it. Some of the AMC venders sell them.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 1:50pm
The only people who have the 727 to early 71 and latter engine block for AMC is American Performance Products in Florida. web site at: http://www.oldcarparts.com/ You have to call and ask them thought.
 It adopts the latter AMC cased 727 (or 998) to the early AMC V-8. It does work , but you need the old tranny divider plate from the old BW. But they are available from some of the major AMC vendors. Jeff Kennedy at Kennedy American has the speedometer cable for this setup.
Jeeps used the GM TH400 in the early to mid/late 1970s, but those cases are setup for 4WD. If you want to go with the latter version of the GM automatic transmission with a four speed over drive this is your best best if you don't already have an AMC cased 727, as most of the later latter GM TH 400 based 4 speed overdrive will work, are strong and reliable, with tons of after market parts available for them. Both Advance Adopters and Novak adopter make conversion kits to the latest general of TH 400 (TH 350 and TH700R4, early 4L60E  ). Novak has the best kit as there kit includes a new flex plate for about the same price as advanced kit.  Novak has very good information pages here at: http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/amc_v8.htm . Note with either the 727 kit or the GM style kits you need a new torque converter too added to the costs. None of the kits include a torque converter. But you can use any GM appropriate converter and any AMC style 727 converter. Some of the Mopars have the flex plate welded to the converters, not sure which ones. LRDaum
LRDaum
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 1:51pm
The only people who have the 727 to early 71 and easier engine blocks for AMC is American Performance Products in Florida. web site at: http://www.oldcarparts.com/
 It adopts the latter AMC cased 727 (or 998) to the early AMC V-8. It does work , but you need the old tranny divider plate from the old BW. But they are available from some of the major AMC vendors. Jeff Kennedy at Kennedy American has the speedometer cable for this setup.
Jeeps used the GM TH400 in the early to mid 1970s, but those cases are setup for 4WD. If you want to go with the latter version of the GM automatic transmission with a four speed over drive this your best best if you don't already have an AMC cased 727, as most of the later latter GM TH 400 based 4 speed overdrive will work, are strong and reliable, with tons of after market parts available for them. Both Advance Adopters and Novak adopter make conversion kits to the latest general of TH 400 (TH 350 and TH700R4, early 4L60E  ). Novak has the best kit as there kit includes a new flex plate for about the same price as advanced kit.  Novak has very good information pages here at: http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/amc_v8.htm . Note with either the 727 kit or the GM style kits you need a new torque converter too added to the costs. None of the kits include a torque converter. But you can use any GM appropriate converter and any AMC style 727 converter. Some of the Mopars have the flex plate welded to the converters, not sure which ones.
LRDaum
cj-hellion View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj-hellion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 11:43pm
A crank adapter that’s what I was thinking about. Some of the ideas I had involves using my 343 and putting an (amc)727 or a (jeep)T400 behind it. I have both to choose from in storage. I thought I could get a GM T400 tail housing and out put shaft to bolt up to the (jeep)T400 but I never look into it. Thanks for the information, I’m going to explore this further before I commit and spend the money.
Mark  Big smile
Hold on boys I’m going to stand on it

amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 11:46pm

I believe APPs bolt on is only for 727 adaptions to the early crank.  I have a couple of them that I am not using if anyone needs one.

Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
390spirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 7:04am
Originally posted by amx39068 amx39068 wrote:

I believe APPs bolt on is only for 727 adaptions to the early crank.  I have a couple of them that I am not using if anyone needs one.

FYI Dan, APP's adapter will work for BOTH the 727 and TH400

the only difference is the converter snout on the 400 is a tad bit smaller requiring the thin spacer in the end of the crank.
here is the kit

and here is the crank adapter with the spacer for the 400 in it

390spirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 7:08am
CJ yes you can get the tail shaft housing and out put shaft from a gm th400 its the same, thats what i did.
i also got a manual valve body and 3000 converter from JW in Fla.

works great i love it

Norm 
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 7:37am
Crank Adapter drawing from Performance American Style book.
Gives AMC part number, was available from parts dept at one time, but no material callout.
Converter Pilot diameter dimension shown for TorqueFlite, slightly smaller I.D. for TurboHyramatic.
Unaware of correct TurboHydramatic I.D. dimension.

Edited by PHAT69AMX - May/06/2010 at 7:40am
390spirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 8:04am
the parts i got pictured are available if you'd like to buy them from me

$175.00 shipped

390spirit
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic