TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Transmission mount bolts...how to reach them?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnagorka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission mount bolts...how to reach them?
    Posted: Jun/14/2017 at 1:52pm
Okay well I figured out how to get the harmonic balancer off, now I'm trying to change the transmission mounts (a.k.a. rear engine mounts) on my '60 Six, and I absolutely can't get to the bolts inside the bell housing which face outward, because the pressure plate assembly is in the way...is there something I'm not seeing? The TSM just says you can support the rear of the engine/transmission assembly and replace them as needed, something I'm finding impossible! Remember that these aren't the simple hockey-puck style mounts, these are more or less a square with female threaded boss embedded in the rubber, which then in turn bolts to the rear cross member.

Any ideas appreciated!

CN
1961 Ambassador Custom, 1967 Ambassador 990, 1960 Rambler Six Super, '65 American 440
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2017 at 7:38am
Hmmm...  Those studs might thread into the bell... bell is tapped, no nut on inside. I can't recall for sure though. That might just be for later model Americans though.

You might have to get creative. A thin open end wrench may have to be bent to go in there...  Otherwise you have to pull the bell housing off and leave the crossmember bolted to it. I suspect that might be the way you have to go.
Frank Swygert
cnagorka View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnagorka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2017 at 3:24pm
As it turns out, an "S" wrench from Harbor Freight worked when the cross member was removed. It wasn't easy but I got it...

...unfortunately the whole vibration problem is still there and the car is going to back to where the clutch was replaced in January. I'm convinced that the pressure plate and/or flywheel has a problem.

CN
1961 Ambassador Custom, 1967 Ambassador 990, 1960 Rambler Six Super, '65 American 440
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic