TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Transmission modulator help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hpva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission modulator help
    Posted: Oct/06/2010 at 8:24am
Is a automatic transmission modulator from a 1959 thru 1964 Rambler V8 the same one used on a 58-60 Rambler American 6 cylinder?
Flash-O-Matic View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flash-O-Matic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2010 at 9:48am

They do look the same, but be careful. Vacuum shift points for the 6 may be different than the V8 because of the difference in RPM. This may be taken into account through the length of the control rod, but if the part numbers are different I wouldn't risk it.

'59 Ambassador Custom
'73 Matador
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2010 at 10:30am
Do they have the internal adjustment screw? IF so, (and I think they all do, at least later) maybe......
hpva View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hpva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2010 at 11:51am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Do they have the internal adjustment screw? IF so, (and I think they all do, at least later) maybe......
There`s no internal ajustment screw.
Flash-O-Matic View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flash-O-Matic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2010 at 1:42pm
The timing of the upshifts/downshifts is controlled by rotating the modulator body clockwise for higher pressure or counterclock for lower pressure. Higher pressure, however, will cause the trans to engage much more harshly when put in gear initially. You may be able to tweak the modulator setting to get the shift pattern where you like it- even if it is meant for a V8. I don't see a real risk of damage- worst case would be that it just won't shift correctly. Just avoid going over 110 psi on the control pressure- ideally you're looking for about 80-90.
'59 Ambassador Custom
'73 Matador
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2010 at 11:55am

I am pretty sure the 1960-1964 VM are unique to the V8.

Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
RonFrancis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonFrancis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2015 at 5:31pm
Can you tell me if the 60 M8 auto behind a 196 F head is the same as one behind a OHV 19?  I have a trans that has been rebuilt and has a new vacuum modulator but not visible wire for a kick down solenoid inside.  I see on a 61 Classic with OHV there is a wire coming out of the larger size modulator.

I'm trying to decide if the trans will have  passing gear?

Thanks for your help or guidance to someone who might know.

RonSmile
Ron Francis
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2015 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by RonFrancis RonFrancis wrote:

Can you tell me if the 60 M8 auto behind a 196 F head is the same as one behind a OHV 19?  I have a trans that has been rebuilt and has a new vacuum modulator but not visible wire for a kick down solenoid inside.  I see on a 61 Classic with OHV there is a wire coming out of the larger size modulator.

I'm trying to decide if the trans will have  passing gear?

Thanks for your help or guidance to someone who might know.

RonSmile

why are you worried about "passing gear"?   "passing gear" is just downshifts. 3rd - to -2nd.   there is no wire in a modulator. a modulator is vacuum......   I would get a TSM for both 1960 and 61.....or maybe a Mitchell that covers those years......
RonFrancis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonFrancis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2015 at 7:15pm
My parts car, a 61 Classic has a wire coming out of the modulator.  My 60 M8 does not have the wire that the TSM says should be there.  It does not say wher e from just that it has a passing gear switch on the carb linkage.  I am trying to find out if the 60 M8 did or didn't have the passing gear.  If it was available, I'd like to make an attempt at installing it.

My new 196 bored .06, 9-1 compression, mild cam full flow oil filter hopefully will run good enough to make passing gear helpful.

Hope this helps clear up my concerns,
Ron Francis
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2015 at 7:45am
All of the BW trannys had a kick down as far as I can determine. The modulator on the sixes is the same regardless of L-head or OHV. If the V-8 modulator will fit try it. It may be calibrated a bit differently, but should work. 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic