TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Trans Pan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thekid57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trans Pan
    Posted: Nov/27/2014 at 6:59pm
Good lord   is there an aftermarket tranmission pan for an 1983 AMC EAGLE? Leaking like a sieve here. thanks all  ED 
55 -57 Nomad
55 Merc Montclaire SVE
83 AMC Eagle

SensibleSpectaculars View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SensibleSpectaculars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2014 at 9:25pm
I had the same problem on my 1985 Eagle.

You can get a factory replacement pan from any Jeep dealer, just say it's for the same year Jeep CJ-7. Or you can get it online a little bit cheaper, I bought one from moparpartssource.com and saved a few bucks over dealer price. Note that they asked for the VIN, and in my case at least they insisted that the VIN is not correct for that part. (I convinced them to send it anyway saying I would accept responsibility for the fit. The pan fit perfectly and no more leaks.)

There are aftermarket pans out there but they all tend to be deep, extra-capacity pans which may not fit properly on an Eagle.

I would also definitely get the reusable pan gasket which is also available from Jeep dealers or online. It's got o-rings set in a plastic-covered steel frame. Much easier to deal with than cork or rubber gaskets and you'll never need to buy another one, well worth the price. Just be careful tightening down since it doesn't have the same "give" to it as the old-style gaskets.

This of course assumes you're talking about an automatic transmission.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2014 at 2:42am
It's the same as 42RE in Grand Cherokee with 4.0L but not 727. First, make sure it's not something else leaking. The converter neck on the 998 is infamous for cracking (usually accompanied with a motor vibration that goes with RPM)
The valvebody/shifter linkage seal tends to leak as does the end of the band pivot shaft. Trans cooler lines tend to leak after motor/trans mounts go bad.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2014 at 11:55pm
a 42re pan is deeper than the eagle pan
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2014 at 8:30am
You've got a bit of room under an Eagle, so the 42RE pan should be a good fit. A little more fluid won't hurt. The dipstick will still be correct, the deeper pan just holds a bit more, but all is below the stick level. Needs to be up to the stick mark. The GC is 4x4 also, so there should be enough clearance in an Eagle.

If you don't want that pan then any Mopar 998 pan should fit. Same asthe 999 used in Wranglers???
Frank Swygert
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2014 at 11:33am
The 999 is a 32RE in '91 up Wranglers and that's the pan I put on my old Eagle's 998 when I rebuilt it using parts from the 32RE. In hindsight, I could've found a flexplate for the Wrangler and used the TJ case I have and put EFI in my Eagle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic