TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

traclok carrier id

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glautrey1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: traclok carrier id
    Posted: Mar/31/2014 at 8:15am
I have exhausted the jeep forums, I am trying to identify which carrier this is, it is for an 81 jeep cj7, AMC 20, I want to put 3.54 gears due to oversize tires and wanted to make sure they will fit and work properly on this carrier. if it cannot be used for what I require, I will just sell it and get a Detroit truetrac or something similar.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B27l934g5RYNRGMzWUV0SkVLRjA&usp=sharing

Thanks
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2014 at 8:30am
Do you know what ring/pinion was on it originally? AMC only used 2 carriers for the AMC 20. There was a unique carrier for the 2.73 ratio only, then the other for 2.87 up.

That model (track-lock) wasn't the greatest design. The problem is that the outer clutch rides against the carrier. They wore out pretty quickly, and when they stopped working, usually the housing was worn beyond spec. I've seen them quit in as little as 20K miles of hard use.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
glautrey1 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glautrey1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2014 at 8:46am
I was given this carrier without gears, the previous owner did not have them either, just had the carrier. It has been rebuilt and didn't seem to have any wear. just trying to ID this thing, hoping can put 3.54 ring on it.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2014 at 4:41pm
Here's a rough way to tell. Set the carrier on the table like in your first picture (ring flange down). Measure from the top of the flange to the table top. The measurement on a 2.87 up carrier should be 1 3/4". A 2.73 carrier will be about 1/4" shorter (around 1 1/2"). This isn't definitive due to casting/machining variances, but it should be enough to tell.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
glautrey1 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glautrey1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2014 at 11:43am
It measures 1.593, I will assume it is for a 2.73 and sell it. It has been inspected and rebuilt and hopefully I can get what I put into it back.
Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic