TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

TPI for AMC...???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkMonohue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2017 at 9:52pm
Buzzman, I'm glad you brought this up. I've been thinking of the same thing. You're on the right track.

It seems like some people here are fixated on trying to make a Chevy intake manifold fit an AMC, which is not what Buzzman is suggesting. He is talking about building a new lower intake manifold to which he can bolt GM TPI tubular runners and plenum.

A fabricated lower intake manifold is the only big challenge. It would involve nothing more complicated than a few laser cut aluminum flanges and tubing. A couple of fuel rails (or stretched GM pieces) to match the different port spacing would pretty much take care of the fabrication.

The advantage of GM TPI parts, other than being dirt cheap and abundant, is the very long intake runner. That long runner is ideal for building low-speed and mid-range torque. Most of the ideas presented here are overlooking the point, which (in my application) is to take advantage of the long runner.

Maybe I'll make some time to lay out the intake manifold flange in CAD. Buzzman, if you end up pursuing this, let me know. I have an excellent machine shop supplier for small run parts like flanges.

Edited by DarkMonohue - May/19/2017 at 9:58pm
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2017 at 10:34pm
Nice to see that somebody finally got my point.
Got a lot on my plate right now, so building a prototype would be a long ways off. But 2 flanges at the heads, 2 flanges for the upper intake tubes, injector bungs and fuel rails and 8 short tubes (plus the coolant tube and stat housing on the Gen2/3 engines, not needed on the Rambler V8) with a little welding skill,and you're in bidness. But I've taken enough of a whipping on this topic.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
DarkMonohue View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkMonohue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2017 at 10:59pm
I'm in the same boat - too many ideas, too little time.

Let me know if you get closer to go time. I'd be happy to donate a little CAD time or other design services to get this off the ground.
nothingface5384 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nothingface5384 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2017 at 10:12pm
just got FI tech
1972 Pro-Toured Buick Skylark Twin turbo efi 355 v8

1973 Pro-Toured Ford Maverick 302 v8

1975 Stock AMC Hornet 232 I6

1978 Stock Plymouth Volare 225 /6
DarkMonohue View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkMonohue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2017 at 11:16am
There are plenty of ways to replace any generic carburetor with an aftermarket fuel injection system on the same manifold. That's fine, but it is not what the OP and I are talking about.

Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2017 at 9:09pm
Whipping? All I see is a lot of creative ideas!
Gremlin Dreams
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2017 at 1:29pm
Yes, I've taken a whipping on this topic. If something goes awry in BFE with your Edelbrock or FITech system, you're stuck until the parts arrive. But if you're running GM parts, every Podunk garage known to man stocks GM parts. And DM is right about those long tubes that put the "tuned" in TPI. I'm not concerned with running
a 3000-to-7000 rpm range, I want to run an idle-to-4500 rpm range.

I'm already looking at what tire size I'll need to run with the 4.11 Explorer rear under my AMC-powered '52 International with an overdrive automatic to get 25-26 mph per 1000 rpm in the top gear. The deep low gear of the 700R4 seems like a way to have my came and eat it to (or as close as it gets).

Go to the Comp Cams downloadable cam dyno program, and play with the options. See what a 256/262 cam does on an AMC if you opt for a (heretofore nonexistent) TPI intake on the torque numbers. Then tell me again why my idea sucks.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2017 at 1:52pm
Well, I agree with adapting the GM electronics and
as much of the GM hard ware as can be done.

As I stated previously....

It will require a machine shop (job shop, not automotive) and
a lot of creative adaptation.

It is best to start with a AMC manifold that has the machining for injectors
already done. The Chevy can not be adapted as is. The centerlines
and head intake angles are all wrong, now the center plenum
and manifold base have to be cut in half
and stretched .75 inches to get the Siamesed intakes
in the correct place, then machined and welded to the AMC base.
A plug .75 long plenum filler must be machined
or cut from an extra GM plenum and welded into the center plenum.

A Lot of work but it can be done.

A Chevrolet manifold simply can not be adapted.
It is WAY too different.
Gremlin Dreams
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2017 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Buzzman72 Buzzman72 wrote:

Yes, I've taken a whipping on this topic. If something goes awry in BFE with your Edelbrock or FITech system, you're stuck until the parts arrive. But if you're running GM parts, every Podunk garage known to man stocks GM parts.

That's a point I've made on here several times but FI Tech and FAST do use off the shelf GM sensors on their systems. They're the only ones that I know of. As far as the ecm, well even a TPI ecm you won't find on a shelf but most any brand of ecm are pretty reliable these days.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2017 at 2:59pm
In 50 years you will still be able to get parts for a SBC.....

Agreed, adapting as much of the GM stuff as you can is an excellent idea.
Gremlin Dreams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic