TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

TPI for AMC...???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2017 at 8:03am
Why not just build an EFI manifold that adapts a GM or other throttle body and has injector bungs?  Like the LT1 350 manifold.  It would not be much more difficult than engineering a whole new base manifold to adapt TPI runners and plenum.

Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2017 at 11:35am
Exactly. It would be VERY easy.

The only potential issues would be over reaching
the plumbing and the center throttle plenum.

Starting with a Pro Flo or an Indy Mod Man (machined for injectors)
would be a great start.
Gremlin Dreams
IN68Jav View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IN68Jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2017 at 12:51pm
BBC model should already be pretty close?  90deg manifold angle and only 0.09" difference in bore pitch?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2017 at 4:15pm
I deleted my last post, I was thinking Ford.....

I did not know there is a TPI for the BBC.
I got to agree it would be closer.
But you still have to make a base from a AMC manifold.
they are way too different.
Gremlin Dreams
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2017 at 6:30am
The TPI system was small block only, IIRC. At any rate, the tuned manifold is key to the TPI. That's hard to fab a new base for. TBI and later MPI systems are easier to adapt. GM systems adapt well, just not the TPI. The advantage of the Megasquirt is that it's easier to program yourself. Get any AMC intake with injector bungs (or add them), adapt a Ford or Chevy throttle body or use an aftermarket -- either with a 4V Holley flange or make an adapter. With the GM controller you may have to have a PROM made for it or send the controller somewhere to have it flashed to the parameters of your engine. Might take a couple tries to get it just right. Unless there is someone local who can flash the newer computers the Megasquirt might be the best bet. 
Frank Swygert
fasttony View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 4:03pm
I have 2 GM F bodies with 5.7 TPI engines, one I bought back in 85 when TPI first came out partly because I thought they were sharp looking intake systems. Stock they are small diameter long runner intakes that don't have much top end flow better suited for 5 liter engines. 

Tony
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 4:53pm
I looked into this 4 years ago.
best thing was to make the whole thing using the GM system
as a pattern scaling it up.

Bigger tubes etc. Then adapt a modern self teaching EFI to it.

A shirt load of fabrication and labor to be sure.
It would look COOL and probably run really well.

It can be done but to build one would be north of $10,000 in
materials, labor and an EFI system as parts.
Gremlin Dreams
fasttony View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 8:06pm
 I have everything needed to possibly fit a TPI on an AMC V8, 2 complete spare TPI setups, a custom GM to AMC closed loop feedback distributor, GM ECM's with a performance chip that eliminates VATS and emissions controls, a new custom wiring harness to match the setup including all necessary sensors, machine shop equipment access, materials and CAD. I have a EFI system all built that uses an Edelbrock Torker intake with billet throttle body. From a quick view it looks like it could be done, both engines have a lot of similarities,  the TPI would have to be raised at least an inch to allow room for custom adapters all the way around, the distributor would be close to the intake and the fasteners for the TPI to adapters would be short and possibly need HeliCoils also the angle of the injectors would be a concern. The TPI would sit just below the level of the stock air cleaner assembly, cost just time.

Tony

Edited by fasttony - Apr/29/2017 at 8:09pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 8:38pm
If you cut the throttle body plenum and weld in a .7" spacer
you may be able to use the runner plumbing.

But the manifold must must be AMC.

AMC bore centerlines are .35 longer and it is a longer engine.
The head intake face is 90 degrees from the head deck on an AMC
and 80~ for Chevrolet.

In truth there few similarities other than both being 90 degree V8s
with a 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 firing order.
Gremlin Dreams
fasttony View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2017 at 8:46am
 A TPI would look nice under the Javelin hood for sure, I will be running EFI I haven't settled on what engine combo or how it will be setup yet there's a good possibility I will go with the 401 and my current injection system also considering adding on a super charger for some extra HP. It's been fun!

Tony

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic