TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Torque Tube Removal on my 1965 Rambler Classic.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Torque Tube Removal on my 1965 Rambler Classic.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gumby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torque Tube Removal on my 1965 Rambler Classic.
    Posted: Nov/06/2014 at 6:01pm
I have searched all over the forum for the answer to this but I was wondering if there are an special tools or things to look out for to remove the turbo tube so that I can replace the rear pinion seal. It is leaking diff fluid out of the TT between the transmission and the TT. I will probably replace the Torque Tube Stabilizer Trunion while I am in there as well if needed. I am a novice wrencher and would love some guidance. It is pretty clean under the wagon and not very rusty at all. I assume the bolts will come loose because all the gear lube all over them. Looks like i need to remove the rear end to get to the rear seal. Is this something that only master techs should do or is this something someone like me can do? i was quoted $500 to $800 to have it done at a shop. The parts not including the trunion bushing seems to be less than $50. Short on money and would love to stop the leak before it destroys the trunion bushing and makes my neighbors mad because of the oil slick i am leaving in front of my house. 

Thanks for the help. 

Edited by gumby - Nov/06/2014 at 7:00pm
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2014 at 7:14pm
I recommend to pick up the factory Technical Service Manual (TSM). Not sure what year and model you have. The procedure is in there.
Jack the car up and securely support the body before the rear wheels. Disconnect the emergency brake cable, rear shocks, truss rods, and rear pan hard bar if so equipped.

Undue the fasteners to the transmission and the rear end. Support the rear end on a floor jack then seperates by pulling towards the rear. Need to be careful to not drop the car off the stands. You do not have to pull it very far to get the TT out.

It is a challenge to get the TT back. But if you install the TT to the rear end first then pull it forward and slip the yoke into the transmission.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
gumby View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gumby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2014 at 7:17pm
Thanks. It is a 1965 amc rambler 660 wagon. 287 V8 auto.
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2014 at 7:28pm
Perfect. Pretty much as I described for the 65's. Not a technically challenging task, but will require muscle and persuasion to seperate the TT.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
gumby View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gumby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2014 at 8:10pm
Is it hard to replace the seal once the tube is out? Anything else i should replace besides the seal? Is this the right part? NATIONAL Part # 470331N? Should i also get Differential Pinion Repair Sleeve? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I will get the book.
1965 AMC Rambler 660 4 door Wagon, 287 V8
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2014 at 7:28am
In addition to what gtoman_us said, you also need to disconnect the rear brake hose. It would be a good idea to replace it if you haven't replaced it already. Note that you'll need to bleed the rear brakes so you also need to make sure that you can open and close the bleeder screws. Spray them with penetrating oil and let them soak for a day or so. If there is room, use a socket to open them. It's very easy to snap stuck bleeder screws off with a box wrench. If they snap off, you'll need to replace the wheel cylinders (always do them in pairs).

When you jack the car up, get it up high enough that the body will clear the rear tires. It is easiet to move things around with the rear tires attached.

Once you have everything disconnected, lower the rear axel slowly. The rear springs will just fall out. It is safer to remove them when they get to the point that they are about ready to fall out. There should be rubber cushions on the top and bottom of the springs. Make sure that you keep track of them since its hard to find replacements.

The repair sleeves are used when the pinion gear is worn where the seal rides on it. There is no way of knowing if you need one until you take the old seal out.

I don't know if you need special tools for the pinion seal or not but as you've noticed, you're mostly getting charged for labor. You could remove the axel yourself and then take it some place to have the pinion seal replaced. It should be much cheaper that way.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
gumby View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gumby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2014 at 7:47am
Thanks Matt. Great advice.
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2014 at 3:18pm
No special tools are required. I would suggest stacking 2 seals in there. There is room and is cheap insurance.
A pair of rims with no tyres can be used to help roll the diff/TT assembly out. Otherwise put it on a dolly or a creeper.
Check the double uni joints while its out also.
GOOD LUCK!
gumby View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gumby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2014 at 4:01pm
When you say 2 seals. Do you mean 2 pinion gaskets? And 1 pinion seal? the seal is metal and rubber right? Do you know if I pull the parts out will I be able to take them to a local parts store like napa our performance and find them there? Or would I have to special order them?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2014 at 10:04am
It's easy to move the axle around with the rear tires on, but I always take them off so the body doesn't have to be lifted so high. Put the floor jack under from the rear. You can put the tires back on with just a couple lug nuts on each once it's out to move it around.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic