TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

torque plates/ honing plates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: torque plates/ honing plates
    Posted: Jul/28/2010 at 1:19pm
Just courious about what other AMC builders are doing. Are you using honing plates to do a general stock to mild performance rebuild. I do Know that these make a difference , but no machine shops have them for AMC's around here V-8 , or 6's.  Is it woth renting them on-line and returning after use. Just looking for your opinions. Thanks Paul
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2010 at 2:07pm
Stock or mild performance I don't think I would, and have not, beyond that, if I wanted serious accuracy, yeah -
When I  can put an inside mic in a cylinder, lock my fingers together and with the palms of my hands, squeeze the block enough to make the mic fall out, yeah...... (we demonstrated this in our college engine building classes)...... think of what 90 pound/ft of torque on a head bolt does, but I don't need to sell you on the idea!
For street and mild performance, I've seen to many of all brands done without and can't see the full benefit personally.
But that's an opinion....... which you asked for.
whitelumpy401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitelumpy401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2010 at 2:20pm
I HAVE BOUGHT MY OWN PLATE SO I USE IT ON ALL STREET TO FULL RACE JUST A LITTLE MORE TO PUT OUT THE BEST ENGINES THAT I CAN
whitelumpy401
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2010 at 3:12pm

For you're intended use, you wont see a difference one way or the other. If it were an all out effort, such as attempting to set a world record, maybe? Small Chevy blocks are another story.

SKeown
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2010 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by SKeown SKeown wrote:

Small Chevy blocks are another story.

SKeown

Yup

They were the easiest to drop the mic in........ didn't take much of a 'squeeze'.......

xspiriment View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2010 at 3:50pm
Thanks for some quisck answers, thats one thing i failed to mention that i know the AMC blocks are much more rigid than the SBC's and some others. Is this the same for the 6's as in the 4.0 l jeep engine. Is it a high nickle content block like the older AMC's.
MattAMC360 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattAMC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2018 at 8:56am
Hello,

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I'm a new member, and apparently I don't have permission to start a new topic, yet.  

I'm helping a good friend in Livingston, Alabama build a moderate performance 360.  He desires to plate-hone his block, but none of the machine shops in his area have a AMC torque plate.  

Do any you happen to have one in his area, and would you be willing to rent it to him?  He's a very trustworthy guy, and would be most appreciative of your help.  

Thanks,

Matt
goops View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2018 at 6:34pm
I have one but in Eastern Canada . Bought mine from Matt at Bulltear.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2018 at 9:43am
The sixes are made similar to the V-8s -- same material. There is just a small amount of additional nickel in the block material, but it doesn't take much to make a slightly harder block. 
Frank Swygert
MattAMC360 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattAMC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2018 at 3:28pm
It surprises me there are so few machine shops that can plate-hone a AMC V8 down south.  In fact we haven't found one, yet.  

Does anyone south of the Mason-Dixon Line have a AMC torque plate to rent?  It's a '79 360 block and heads from a Wagoneer, if that makes a difference.  

I'm sure my friend would make it financially worthwhile for you, and he'd certainly travel to pick it up and return it.  

Let me know, thanks,

Matt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic