TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Torque Links

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcw1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torque Links
    Posted: Jun/07/2018 at 7:07am
I've recently got some used torque links and my frame doesn't have the holes for them. Does anyone have instructions or a template that I can use to install these?
70 Javelin SST
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2018 at 4:29pm
Not sure, but I think the frame should have a bushing in it so you don't collapse it with the torque link bolts. I have thought about cutting a larger hole so a bushing would fit in, put in the bushing and weld it in place, grind it smooth and install the torque link. Maybe you can cut a window in the frame from the trunk to put a bushing in place, then weld the hole closed. I have a set of torque links but I don't have a car that came with them to be sure.  Let's see what others have to say.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2018 at 4:58pm
NOPE!! No bolt goes clear through the frame.
You remove the back seat, cut a hole in the floor so you can access the INSIDE of the frame rail, and insert a HEAVY STEEL PLATE that has nuts WELDED onto it and the front bracket BOLTS to that plate - NOT THROUGH the frame.

The three smaller bolts here screw into the nuts welded to the heavy plate that is inside the frame.
They hold the bracket in place, the big bolt goes into a big nut on that plate inside the frame, but not all the way through and out the other side.
If you bought torque links I will bet anything you did not get all the parts and will have to make a heavy plate, weld nuts to it, so you can put it inside the frame. 
Again, NOTHING goes clear through the frame.

Edited by billd - Jun/07/2018 at 5:01pm
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2018 at 1:06am
I'm in the same boat and am looking into having some plates made professionally.

Bill: any chance you could make us a template for mounting that frame bracket?
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
jcw1970 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcw1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2018 at 7:06am
I was thinking of going all the way through the frame, using sleeves on the bolts so you wouldn't compress the frame. Would still have to cut the floor in install the sleeves. Still going to have to fabricate a plate for the other side.  Can we get some measurements on the location of the plate that mounts to the frame?

70 Javelin SST
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2018 at 8:19am
Thanks for clarifying that, Bill. Plates would work well because they would spread the load over a larger area. Bushings will work, but will not be as the factory did it. If it was not done at the factory, it is a moot point.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2018 at 8:45am
could you use the outer mount for a pattern for the inside on the frame ? 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

bcsideshow View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2018 at 9:27am
There have been a lot of AMX's parted out.  Maybe cut up some rear frame rails to get some factory hardware.
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
bcsideshow View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2018 at 9:31am
Scott Mills had some NOS torque links for dealer install that included the factory hardware.   Here is a link to that thread and pic:
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2018 at 10:15am

Pic of plates
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic