TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

torque links

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnichols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: torque links
    Posted: Jan/10/2010 at 7:57pm
thinking of adding a set to my 76 hornet project, anyone have any pics of the factory set up or any for sale??? thanks     brett     bnichols1@stny.rr.com
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2010 at 8:00pm
Brett, you'll need a set off a 72 Gremlin. They are just a bit longer than the ones on an AMX. They are a bit harder to find too.. 

Edited by 71SC360 - Jan/10/2010 at 8:01pm
bnichols View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnichols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2010 at 8:05pm

ok thanks

bnichols View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnichols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2010 at 8:06pm
does anyone have a measurement from center to center?? thanks
17tamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17tamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2010 at 9:45pm
Hi Brett,
The Gremlin Torque links have a center to center length of 12.5" compared to 10.5" for the shorter AMX Torque links. Also the Gremlin Torque Links do not use the front mounting brackets like the AMX. Pictures or line drawings showing both links are in the67-72  parts book. I have a extra set of each style and was planning on using the shorter AMX links on my 67 Rogue Convertable so I will sell my Gremlin links for $135.00 plus $15.00 for shipping. They do need to be sandblasted, painted and have new bushings installed like most of them that I have found in the past. I rebuilt the set on my 70 AMX and I added a set to my 71 SC/360. I have pictures of both cars in the Members Project section here on this Forum. Let me know if you are interested.
Kirk P. Fletcher
70 AMX BBG w/Shadow 390 4sp
71 SC360 Wild Plum Ram Air 4sp
67 Rogue Convert 343 4sp
66 Rogue Hardtop 290 Auto
66 440 Convert 232 Auto
bnichols View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnichols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2010 at 5:14am
pm sent
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2010 at 7:06am
Ross will rebuild them with the correct proper bushings and they'll look like new when he returns them.
17tamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17tamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2010 at 12:14pm
Hi Brett,
I have the main parts that are needed but it appears that the hardware is mismatched. The parts came with a car that I bought this summer and I do not know all the details of the history of these items. I have installed the 68-69 Torque Links on my 71 SC/360 but I had to hammer on the inner sheet metal to get the brackets to clear. I reasoned that it would be ok since the factory did it that way on the AMX's. Purhaps an engineer thought that by adding two inches that the links would be more effective because of a better angle to the rear springs. He also wanted to eliminate the sheet metal modifications which was extra labor cost and extra time on the assymebly line. The 72 V8 Gremlins didn't use front brackets but there most likely was some type of re-inforcement in that front hole in the frame rail to keep the sheet metal from crushing in. I would use a sleeve or bolts with long non-threaded shanks like I did to keep from crushing the frame stampings or poping the spot welds.

These are the 12 1/2" long 72 V8 Gremlin Torque Links

My 1970 AMX Factory Torque Links.

Back view of 1970 AMX.

The parts for my SC/360 with new grade 8 hardware for the front mounts.

Modified sheet metal on my Hornet.

Drivers side with bolts torqued down. Bracket is for Parking Brake Cable. Tight!

Drivers side of 71 SC/360. I used a smaller dia. front center bolt with a sleeve in the poly bushings.

I used new hardware except for the big bolt, Spacers & Nut on the axle bracket.

Hope this helps.
Kirk P. Fletcher
67 Rogue Convert 343 4sp
66 440 Convert 232 Auto
17tamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17tamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2010 at 1:04pm
Hi Brett,

Here are some scans of the pages from the Factory Parts book, 67 - 72, Group 11.

Pretty straight forward to install these. Please note that the brackets that bolt to the top of the axle are different than pictured in the parts book. The parts book shows a round hole for the upper bolt to pass through. The factory items are slotted to allow for the adjustment and pre-load of these links. The factoy shop manual gives the proceedures for setting the pre-load for these Torque Links. Let me know if you want these. I accept Pay-Pal.

Edited by 17tamx - Jan/12/2010 at 1:10pm
Kirk P. Fletcher
67 Rogue Convert 343 4sp
66 440 Convert 232 Auto
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2010 at 1:25pm

The bolts in my front brackets screw into a plate inside the frame.
1970 torque links were originally black, according to Ross P.  Mine showed signs of having been painted, but that's all I could tell..... there was paint on the backsides of the brackets - where it was protected.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic