TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Torqstorm 401 Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2019 at 7:58am
Originally posted by RAZER RAZER wrote:

Amsoil makes an oil specifically for the older hot rods, zddp included.

My engine builder mentioned Amsoil's Z-Rod oil but according to the infamous blog it isn't as good as the aforementioned Joe Gibbs LS30. However, Amsoil's Signature Series's synthetic is at the top of his list with fantastic wear protection and no degredation in wear protection at elevated temperatures.

-Steve-

Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2019 at 3:43pm
Today was the nicest day for nearly four months here so I got the AMX out of hibernation and took a spin. Also fabbed up a better PCV baffle for the Air-Gap. The one it comes with is useless.

texasamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texasamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2019 at 8:13pm
ZDDP is very important for the start up of flat tappet cams, not so much for the roller cam set up you have,   but it wouldn't hurt either.
texasamx
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2019 at 7:15pm
True, I wiped a flat tappet cam on break-in some years back because of that. I'm thinking the old school distributor driven oil pump puts a pretty good load on the distributor gears at high RPM and may wear prematurely without enough ZDDP.

Primed the oiling system and bolted the intake on, it looks good. Next I'll get the EFI system ready for use at the dyno.

Thought I'd include pics of the end seal. Most people prefer to use RTV.

You can see the extra material on the end which prevents the seal from mating to the head properly.

I grind the excess material off using a bench grinder. You can see the angle conforms to the head, just dab some RTV on the end. When the intake is installed it will squish it downwards and complete the seal.

Edited by Rebel Machine - Mar/17/2019 at 7:17pm
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2019 at 9:17am
It is looking really good. Can’t wait to hear your dyno numbers
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2019 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by shootist shootist wrote:

It is looking really good. Can’t wait to hear your dyno numbers

Me either! Right now I'm rounding up fittings & hose to get the EFI system plumbed for the dyno.

-Steve-

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2019 at 7:02pm
A few more bits. Mounted the fuel system components on some plywood for use in the dyno room, still have to plumb it. Another piece will be used for the electrical (ignition system, EFI & fuel pump). CD box is on backorder.

-Steve-

Eazybee View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eazybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2019 at 10:00am
I believe I see an external fuel regulator? I thought the Sniper had an internal fuel regulator (in the throttle body) so it has me wondering what your gaining by adding an external? Thanks.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2019 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Eazybee Eazybee wrote:

I believe I see an external fuel regulator? I thought the Sniper had an internal fuel regulator (in the throttle body) so it has me wondering what your gaining by adding an external? Thanks.

No, the Super Sniper throttle body doesn't have one. They require a return style regulator. This system has the regulator after the throttle body. That way it gets full pressure. The flow is:

fuel tank / pre-filter / fuel pump / post-filter / Sniper throttle body / regulator / return line back to tank.

-Steve-
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 1:05pm
Making small steps before dyno day (whenever that turns out to be). Holley Super Sniper EFI and Hyperspark ignition installed. Headers should be here tomorrow. They've been on back order for six weeks.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
  Share Topic