TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Torqstorm 401 Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2019 at 7:10pm
Dipstick tube arrived and got it installed along with the oil pan. The pan's baffle needed a hole in it for the oil dipstick to clear.

Also snapped a pic of the engine with the intake sitting on it, it's getting exciting! Gotta figure out what oil to run. I'm liking the Joe Gibbs Driven LS30.

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2019 at 4:59am
about oil, I was surprised to find euro formula Mobil 1 at our Advance auto store. its one of the best over the counter oils, though its not discounted in the ads. So, I went with high milage Castrol synthetic performance oil. it was $36 while the Mobil 1 performance 0w-20 was $32 there abouts, after discount.

As stated by a previous member about oils, Joe Gibbs does use another company to label their own oil. Though, it is spec is a Joe Gibbs formula not what is sold by original label. Many relabeled products get some additives or changes to the formula to make a product more suited to the needs of the order.

That is why Joe Gibbs oil rates better than the oil its based upon.

there is no reason why a high milage oil wont work, just the additives may not be suited for ones needs, by the fact shorter change cycles will be needed, as the oil has a smaller brake down window over the higher rated oils. Though it is one tuff oil when you need wear protection when you do stress the oil. Probaby a great oil for street use, and some occasional strip use without change outs.

I always used the brake down window as a key indicator to how often I change the oil. Stress the engine, your stressing the oil.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2019 at 6:55am
After having wiped a distributor drive gearset in the current engine using Mobil 1 synthetic I'm trying to educate myself about oil characteristics.

There's an infamous oil blog out there (https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/) that says the sheering strength is most important regarding wear. The author goes to great lengths testing a variety of oils for many characteristics such as sheering strength and thermal breakdown temperature. The results of those tests indicate to me the Joe Gibbs LS30 is a good choice for this engine's use. My engine builder recommends the use of a break-in oil to seat the rings properly.

-Steve-
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2019 at 8:50am
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

After having wiped a distributor drive gearset in the current engine using Mobil 1 synthetic I'm trying to educate myself about oil characteristics.

There's an infamous oil blog out there (https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/) that says the sheering strength is most important regarding wear. The author goes to great lengths testing a variety of oils for many characteristics such as sheering strength and thermal breakdown temperature. The results of those tests indicate to me the Joe Gibbs LS30 is a good choice for this engine's use. My engine builder recommends the use of a break-in oil to seat the rings properly.

-Steve-

Wasn't negging your choice oil, just making comment on others that were also top rated. Yes, Mobil 1 has only one oil that meets your criteria, and that's the Euro formula, not the more commonly found oil you selected earlier.

I had the Euro formula rang up, and found it not part of the oil sale this month. It was another $20 on the total
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
1968Javelin343 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1968Javelin343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2019 at 12:19pm
PennGrade 1, made at the old Kendall refinery in Bradford Pennsylvania.

Bryan
1968 Javelin 343
VT71AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VT71AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2019 at 3:58pm
Thats a good looking build. I a looking forward to seeing your Dyno numbers.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2019 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by 1968Javelin343 1968Javelin343 wrote:

PennGrade 1, made at the old Kendall refinery in Bradford Pennsylvania.

My engine builder said Brad Penn recently significantly reduced the ZDDP in their oil. He liked the old Kendall stuff though.

-Steve-

1968Javelin343 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1968Javelin343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2019 at 12:30pm
Steve,
PennGrade 1 still has all the ZDDP, the PennGrade select and PennGrade Blend are fully synthetic or a blend that are modern oil formulations with reduced ZDDP, etc.

Bryan
1968 Javelin 343
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2019 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by 1968Javelin343 1968Javelin343 wrote:

Steve,
PennGrade 1 still has all the ZDDP, the PennGrade select and PennGrade Blend are fully synthetic or a blend that are modern oil formulations with reduced ZDDP, etc.

Good to know, thanks for clearing that up.

-Steve-
RAZER View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAZER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2019 at 7:09pm
Amsoil makes an oil specifically for the older hot rods, zddp included.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
  Share Topic