TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Torqstorm 401 Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torqstorm 401 Build
    Posted: Oct/26/2018 at 6:21am
Decided to start a thread on this build.

Machine shop has baked the block, fitted the Pro-Gramm 4-bolt main caps and line honed it. Will be decked flat next.

Picked up a timing set and rocker stud girdle.

brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2018 at 9:07am
What are you planning to use for heads? Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2018 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by brownspirit brownspirit wrote:

What are you planning to use for heads? Andy

Got a pair of aluminum Edelbrocks. Planning on a roller cam & lifters.

Lower end will be stock 401 crank offset ground with 2.1" end Molnar stroker rods. Pistons yet to be determined.

-Steve-
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2018 at 4:57pm
I assume this setup is going in your RWB AMX? Do you have a 727 in that? What are you hope for power wise out of it? Carb or EFI? Sorry for all the questions, I'm intrigued by supercharged engines. Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2018 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by brownspirit brownspirit wrote:

I assume this setup is going in your RWB AMX? Do you have a 727 in that? What are you hope for power wise out of it? Carb or EFI? Sorry for all the questions, I'm intrigued by supercharged engines. Andy

Yes, it's going in the R/W/B AMX and it has a 727. Target it 650 HP on 93 octane pump gas. Still haven't decided on carb vs EFI. Torqstorm tells me they make more power with a carburetor. I'm not looking to run this engine on the ragged edge so I'm leaning towards EFI. I believe it will run in the safe operating range more readily.

This is my first experience with a supercharger so I'm gathering as much info as I can.

-Steve-
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2018 at 7:18pm
That sounds like alot of fun. EFI seems like it would make for a killer setup if your computer savvy, but the added cost would be a tough pill to swallow if it was my money. Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

ARIZONAAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARIZONAAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2018 at 7:58pm
If you decide to go with a carb.I would recommend CSU.It works perfect as delivered.not cheap (1000.00).
68 AMX 401,727.
rockAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2018 at 2:42pm
Get your shop to put in the cam bearings as well. They are tricky on AMC engines.
DWR
1968 AMX

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2018 at 7:20am
Stopped by the machine shop today. They ordered a set of custom Diamond pistons, pins & rings. Gave me sticker shock but now is no time to get cheap.

Since we're using the Molnar 2.1" stroker rods it was hard to get a low compression piston. With the right head gasket we should be in the 9.0 - 9.2 range.

A few more pics of the heads and superchager.

-Steve-

Edited by Rebel Machine - Dec/25/2019 at 7:20am
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2018 at 1:11pm
I am watching this one come together. If you run into questions feel free to reach out. That is a good looking kit you have coming together. I understand the shock on the pistons. I think my Diamonds cost as much as the ones they sell at a jewelry store $1800 if I remember correctly but they are some great looking slugs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic