TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Torker vs R4B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torker vs R4B
    Posted: Apr/23/2014 at 8:16pm
As you may have seen on various posts, I am putting together a 420 cu in stroker. It has Eddy heads ported and polished and flow about 320 @ .700. It also has a bullet cam, about .580 lift and 245 degrees duration @.050.

The short block has been bored and honed with a torque plate, new cam bearings, Autotec pistions (10.4:1), Eagle rods, crank has been lightened and the assembly has beenneutral balanced. The custom Harland Sharp roller rockers are due to get them this week, so it's decision time on the intake.

In short, I am expecting this motor to goto 6,500-7,000 rpms.

Does ANYONE have any experience with running a Torker and an R4B? My buddy thinks I should run the R4B for nostalgia reasons mostly and I want to run the Torker. He says the Torker needs too much work to make it flow right.
Also, will I have any hood clearance problems (I don't think I will, but it's worth asking).
I am really up in the air on this one.

BTW, the car is an 81 Spirit with a Ford 9 inch with 3.71 posi. It also has a built TF998 with a dakota valve body so I can electrically turn off the lockup on the 3,000 rpm stall converter. I also plan to run an 850 DP Holley.

I need some good sound advice on this one before I go to the dyno for tuning.
1981 Spirit
(420 cu in stroker - 570 hp)
1966 Ford Fairlane Convertible
(331 Cu In - 450 HP)
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2014 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by KLW KLW wrote:

As you may have seen on various posts, I am putting together a 420 cu in stroker. It has Eddy heads ported and polished and flow about 320 @ .700. It also has a bullet cam, about .580 lift and 245 degrees duration @.050.

The short block has been bored and honed with a torque plate, new cam bearings, Autotec pistions (10.4:1), Eagle rods, crank has been lightened and the assembly has beenneutral balanced. The custom Harland Sharp roller rockers are due to get them this week, so it's decision time on the intake.

In short, I am expecting this motor to goto 6,500-7,000 rpms.

Does ANYONE have any experience with running a Torker and an R4B? My buddy thinks I should run the R4B for nostalgia reasons mostly and I want to run the Torker. He says the Torker needs too much work to make it flow right.
Also, will I have any hood clearance problems (I don't think I will, but it's worth asking).
I am really up in the air on this one.

BTW, the car is an 81 Spirit with a Ford 9 inch with 3.71 posi. It also has a built TF998 with a dakota valve body so I can electrically turn off the lockup on the 3,000 rpm stall converter. I also plan to run an 850 DP Holley.

I need some good sound advice on this one before I go to the dyno for tuning.
Torker, and they are about the same height if I remember correctly. I had hood clearance problems on my 70 AMX with an R4B. Not sure on a Spirit.
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2014 at 9:08pm
I wouldn't even consider an r4b on that combo..Torker all the way....grind down the bumps on the inner 4 runners and bolt it on...
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
M+M View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M+M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2014 at 9:40pm
Not even a decision.... Torker

You didnt have the intake worked with the heads??? At any rate, check your port alignments particularly at the top when you install it.
M+M Performance Heads & Machine
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Performance-Heads-and-Machine/209556499235670?ref=hl
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2014 at 11:32pm
Torker.
390spirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 6:30am
torker and you will not have hood clearance problems unless you use a tall air cleaner

I have a torker on my 390 in my spirit and used a drop base open 14x4 K&N element with no hood or wiper clearance problems
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 8:34am
Yep Torker with your combo/RPM range.
Did your buddy know your combo and the RPM ranges of the 2 intakes?
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
sick390 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sick390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 10:14am
Torker all the way!

KLW View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 1:31pm
Well, now that the decision has been made (Torker), I will match the heads to the ports. I just got my custom Harland Sharpe rockers today, so Sunday will be Fun Day!

Thanks everyone for your input! I kinda figured that would be the consensus here, but I have a soft spot in my heart for those R4B's....They always treated me right 35 years ago, but then again, I didn't build my motors to tis level - I was still in high school and didn't have much money!
1981 Spirit
(420 cu in stroker - 570 hp)
1966 Ford Fairlane Convertible
(331 Cu In - 450 HP)
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 4:10pm
In this post there is a copy of the article that shows the horse power difference between the two.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic