TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tonight on the way home my clutch linkage broke!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Tonight on the way home my clutch linkage broke!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tonight on the way home my clutch linkage broke!
    Posted: Mar/13/2017 at 11:44pm
 Driving home from work the clutch linkage broke on Marge. Thank God I have an awesome boss whom I woke up from a sleep not knowing she was sick but she granted me use of the tow truck. Nick came and got me all the way on the other side of town, went and got the tow truck then towed Marge and got the tow truck back to the shop. What a wonderful family I work for. The clutch linkage has a leather like link on it that tore. My local AMC parts place has then in stock and I'll get her fixed up in no time. I'll post the fix in the coming days.

Brian
1959 Rambler American daily driver. And I mean EVERY SINGLE day.
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2017 at 4:34am
Sounds like the parts are available and a fairly easy fix. 
Just a PITA when things break on the road!
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2017 at 5:36am
That fabric based link is for vibration isolation, and troublesome after 15+ years of use. I say 15+ because I remember having problems with stretch/worn out pieces in my 61 Rambler when I got it back in 1979. Wasn't intended to last 15+ years and over 100K miles (all mine back then were over 100K)!!  The replacements are usually made with industrial belt material, and some have a thin stainless steel layer as well. Should last longer, but really, if it was same as original it's good for another 10+ years....
Frank Swygert
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2017 at 8:57pm
Got Marge in the back yard and up on jack stands. Pulled the shield off under the clutch linkage and sure enough that's all it is, that damn belt thingie. I got the new one ordered and on the way. Hopefully I'll have it in a day or two.

Brian

MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2017 at 11:26am

Got my goodies today, damn Galvin's AMC parts is awesome! 

Brian
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2017 at 10:03pm
Well, I got my isolator installed but there is something not right about the clutch pedal feel, it's got way too much free travel (a couple inches) and the rods are as long as I can get them. The bell crank thingie is being pulled back off the bracket on the frame by the spring to the brake linkage. It has the two little springs pulling it back forward into the bracket but the one brake spring pulls it out of the bracket on the frame. When you move the pedal linkage it goes a long way with that bell crank moving instead of the linkage! I am frustrated as heck and will give it a look tomorrow.

Brian
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 5:51am
Move the brake spring.... ??
Frank Swygert
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 8:21am
Do you have any idea why they put it there? Near as I can tell it is suppose to be going there, why? 

Brian
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 9:19am
I have been busy working on my brothers Crosley motorcycle so I haven't gotten to it. Yes, my family is into the "different" stuff.

Brian
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 10:00pm
I replaced a couple of the springs and though it has too much pedal play, it's as much as it had so I am ready to put her back on the road.  The last few weeks without Marge has sucked! I pulled the clutch cover off and the disc looks like new still (I am very easy on clutches and brakes) so I have to assume all is good. I am just surprised that there isn't enough rod to lengthen it out and eliminate the play. Don't know why, and I don't know what I will do when the clutch does wear.

Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic