TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

To Mini Tub? Or not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rampar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To Mini Tub? Or not?
    Posted: May/26/2016 at 12:05am
So I Have a 1966 Rambler American I'm currently collecting parts to do the 8.8 Swap. Just thinking there's no time like the present to move the Springs inboard for Maximum tire size as traction is my enemy as of now. Just thinking here Mini Tub Wouldn't be that much more since already moving Springs. What are your thoughts or input on the situation? Mini Tub i think i'll be able to fit about a 12" tire where spring relocation should yeld about 10" tire.... Also i guess i should move the rear back an inch since everyone does that. Has anyone done any of these things? 
1966 Rampar American
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2016 at 6:33am
No need to move the rear back unless you just want to, or don't like the wheel forward in the wheel well, or the tires you want to run won't fit without the move. You would nee a custom length driveshaft also. Same thing with mini tubs. Unless you're planning on running a larger tire at some point there is no need.

If relocating the springs I'd use sliders instead of shackles. They handle better since they can't lean. Weld or bolt a piece of rectangular tubing on the inside of the rail and mount the slider on that. Easier than a shackle, unless you use an offset shackle, which has even more potential to lean in curves...
Frank Swygert
RamblinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2016 at 3:11pm
I did it on a 65 Classic. I actually moved my frame rails in 3" per side and now run 295/50-15 tires and could go a little bigger (carefully). I have considered going to a taller tire (28") and could go with a 30" tire but I would need to move my rearend back an inch to do so.
The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration
mitchs66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchs66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2016 at 8:16pm
I think this depends on the look that you are looking for...With my 17x10 and 5.75 back spacing I thought it would be tight to the 1/4 panel and it is.  I did move my rear end back the 1 inch to help clearance up front but now it is tight in the back at the 1/4 lip.  I trimmed as much as I can remove, next is to try to roll the lip but the inner structure is right there.  I had my ride height set with 1/4 down almost to the tire a got into the tire the first trip around the block, so when we set the pinion angle we raised the ride height.  I wanted some dish to the wheels so I'm happy with the wheels, but I think it sets to high in the rear.  My uncle loves it thanks it's perfect.  I'm considering narrowing my rear 2 to 3 inches and lowering my ride height, and in turn may make me mini tube my car as well.

I would have to look again but I think my tires are 26 to 27 inches tall and 11 to 11.5 inches wide, I also think it would look better if the 1/4 was down to about the top of the wheel.  But again depends on the look that you want.

My Mom and Dad took it for a spin at the family reunion this past weekend.

Edited by mitchs66 - May/31/2016 at 8:20pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2016 at 8:26pm
Yeah, a little butt high. What rearend are you running?

mitchs66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchs66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2016 at 8:36pm
It's the '90-'92 Ranger 8.8 right in the 56-56.5 width range.  If I use a short axle from '90-'92 I can narrow it 2.875" or a short axle from a '93-'97 would be 1.875.  My front wheels will move the outside of my tire in one inch so I plan on moving them to the rear and looking things over.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2016 at 5:40am
An 8" wide tire is about the widest that will comfortably fit the stock wheel wells... maybe 8.5". You need almost an inch on either side fo the tire for really good clearance. A hobby car never loaded much in the back (usually just two in front seat) can get by with a bit more, but as soon as you get a couple back seaters (adults or late teens) you will likely scrub somewhere. I don't really like the old 70s butt high look either.
Frank Swygert
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2016 at 8:38am
Tub it, no time like the present. Axle swap probably means new driveshaft anyway. Tub it big enough that you don't have tire contact body problems, then go with the appropriate wheel offset.

You'll thank yourself when the car turns out great !
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Rampar View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rampar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2016 at 11:31pm
Ture, No time like the present. As i was discussing this with some buddys who all have hot rods i.e. Anglia, 70 Dart, 70 Challenger... All of which cars have been mini or fully tubbed... one of them stated ," Never hear anyone complain I wish my car didn't have so much traction".... At this point I knew what I had to do. 
1966 Rampar American
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2016 at 7:29am
The decision between tubbing or mini-tubbing come down to structure. Mine is a dedicated street car and I didn't want to deal with a cage. You can mini-tub in such a way that you don't lose the structural integrity of the car, but a full tub job needs at LEAST a 6 point cage to accomplish this IMO. I have built both over the years. My Classic chassis is probably stronger than factory now because I used 16g tubs and new rear subframe rails in my mini-tub. If I was building a drag car (full or part time), there is no doubt, I would do a full tub job.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic