TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Tire size

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2018 at 11:37am
Trailer rims still come in 14" x 5.5" or 6" and the offset is usually center. As for hub caps fitting these rims I have no idea.
They are steel and have a load rating as high or higher then your car. 
Rambleau View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambleau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2018 at 3:07pm
Thanks guys, I’ll check with one more auto supply store and also with the ford dealer and see what they can get their hands on, the spare wheel is easy to reference and measure.
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2018 at 4:23pm
Was moving some stuff around in the shop yesterday and had a giggle at this. Tire off the AMX compared to my daily driver...

The daily drivers tire looks HUGE when not on the truck!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
Rambleau View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambleau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2018 at 6:57pm
Still trying to put this to bed. It’s been frusterating but getting close. Got some original rims but the inside rim was rusted out a bit too much on a few.

I think I have a cleaner set coming. The wheel covers and rubber was easy but these rims have been tough.

So I see there’s about a half inch of rim exposed once the ambassador wheel covers are on. My question is, were the factory wheels all coloured to match each car? No black wheels correct? My spare has a greeney blue paint similar to the roof colour, which is what I’m guessing all of the original wheels looked like on my car.

If I have time, I want to get the wheels painted to close to original colour of my car( picture below).

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2018 at 8:37pm
There was a prescribed color scheme for the wheels to either match or contrast with the main body color.  Sometimes the paint codes (wheels with body color) are presented in the Data Books (salesman's data color upholstery books) and sometimes they are in a separate pamphlet for that year.  1966 AMCs colors were presented in a separate pamphlet.  Black wheels were used often with a body color like white, and yellow (and black of course).  I don't personally have any references to check for the 1964 Classics or Ambassadors, but my Aurora Turquoise 64 Classic had Lancelot Turquoise wheels from the factory.  I now have another white 64 Classic that has black wheels that look to be factory.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Rambleau View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambleau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2018 at 8:51pm
Thanks Joe, I think I’ll try and match the roof.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2018 at 8:53am
The original full wheel covers should fit those steel wheels you have on now, just remove the enter caps. That's assuming they are the same 14" or 15" size. 14" were stock, 15" optional, so either is correct. The chrome edge would look good, but they can be roughed up and painted. Not original, but might be a good solution for now.
Frank Swygert
Rambleau View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rambleau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 7:48pm
Finally got the new wheels, tires and wheel covers on. A bit of a longer episode than I first expected. I just got the car back and on the road. Runs great and I much prefer the look of these original wheels.

Thanks everyone for the help along the way.

73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Rambleau Rambleau wrote:

Finally got the new wheels, tires and wheel covers on. A bit of a longer episode than I first expected. I just got the car back and on the road. Runs great and I much prefer the look of these original wheels.

Thanks everyone for the help along the way.

Congratulations on finally getting all the bits together.  I agree with you, the car looks much happier with the OE hubcaps, wheels and proper whitewall tires.  Well done!
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2018 at 1:54am
Yeah, it looks like a proper 1960s luxury car now, not a 1980s pickup truck. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic