TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Tire size

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambleau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2018 at 3:58am
Sorry, I meant to say wheel covers.

The wheels on the car now are actually 15 inch.

So I take it the wheel covers should work on any 14 inch steel wheel?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2018 at 6:38am
Yes, the full size covers should work with any steel wheel. You might need to bend the tabs out a little to get more grip, but that's about it. Have to do that on occasion with the stock wheels!
Frank Swygert
Rambleau View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambleau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2018 at 1:02pm
Alright I'm two-thirds through this part track down. 

I have the original wheel covers and I just ordered the Hankook H724's with whitewall. White wall tires are pretty tough to track down up here. 

Now I need the steel wheel and the guy ordering wants to know the bolt pattern. Will steel wheels be hard to find and does anyone know what bolt pattern will work. 

I can dig out my technical manual and see what they list I guess. 

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2018 at 7:03am
5 x 4.5" -- same pattern as Ford and Chrysler. The hole in the center for the hub may be a bit smaller on Ford wheels -- meaure one of yours and give the wheel guy that measurement. Some aftermarket wheels center with the studs and use a larger hole, some center on the hub in the center (use the hole to center wheel). 
Frank Swygert
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2018 at 8:14am
The truck guys call that either "hub-centric" or "lug centric."
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Rambleau View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambleau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2018 at 7:44pm
Thank you. I’ll try for that. I didn’t find any mention of bolt pattern in the TSM.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2018 at 7:01am
Well, the TSM assumes you're a reasonably accomplished mechanic at least familiar with AMC/Rambler cars. Nash/Rambler/AMC has used the same pattern since at least 1955, so they assume you'd know that. You will find some other tid-bits of info seemingly left out on occasion, but there is enough knowledge on this board to fill you in.

The only other wheel bolt patterns I know of for sure that AMC used are 1) Metropolitan (British Austin four bolt), 2) 50-54 Nash Rambler (some four bolt pattern...), and of course the Jeep CJ 5 x 5.5" and SJ (big Jeeps) 6 lug (it appears all six lug patterns in the US are the same -- Jeep, Chevy, Toyota, Chrysler, Ford).
Frank Swygert
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2018 at 12:34pm
Don’t forget the 8x6.5 on the J20. Although that doesn’t help out in this case at all! Good luck!
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
Rambleau View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambleau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2018 at 8:42pm
The bolt pattern hasn’t been a problem but I took my original spare into the tire store and they say the issue is the 2 3/4 offset. Hard to find in any after market up here. Maybe more common in the US.

I have a line on some original rims from a guys parts car but if that falls through not sure where to go.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2018 at 7:45am
Sounds like the original wheel were 5.5" wide... common in the early 60s, but not now. You will be fine with a 6" wide wheel with around a 3" offset... a common Ford or Chrysler steel wheel will be fine, but check diameter of center hole if Ford, as some of those won't fully fit over the AMC hub.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic