TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Tire Choices for Autocross/track days

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2017 at 12:52pm
If I can get one season from a set of tires I would be happy with that. Street driving would be very mild mannered just cruising to shows and cruise ins. Most I would do on the street is a little quick acceleration. Probably looking at 8-10 autocross events in a season. If I go drag racing (they would likely kick me out for no cage) I will keep a pair drag radials for that and just swap out.
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2017 at 1:37pm
I've been trying to look into that and can't find a decent way to put in a cage. It's kind of necessary for the kind of harness I want to put in too. Lap belts are a death knell to this car. Do I have to address this when I tear the whole car apart to redo the paint?
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 9:51am
My first autocross was a blast.  Hurry up and get some tires so you can start beating on your car too!  This is with Nitto NT05s, 275/40r17 front and 315/35r17 rear.  Enough traction to have fun.

And with a different driver.  He's a ton better driver than me, just had a hard time getting used to the locker in some of the low speed corners.

1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 12:04pm
Shootist, I think if you want to do your best, it won't hurt to look at the best for tire selection: Panoz.

Very likely, Panoz cars come with the best all around tire, tested on road race tracks all over USA, stock from the factory.

https://panoz.com/

Obviously, Panoz takes pride in MADE IN USA.

And we have another form of competition on our hands:

Tire choice should reflect this effort to support US economy?

(assuming we are coherent adults who love our children, not to abuse them by gutting their chances to prosper)

Searching for sticky tires myself, once again BF Goodrich and Goodyear (purchased Dunlop) standout for their best MADE IN USA status.

Some Nittos are made in USA -profit goes to Japan.

Hankook built a new factory in Tennesee -profit goes to S.Korea.

Mickey Thompson is made by Kenda -profit goes to China.

Have not checked but I'd be curious to know tire brand choice for Corvette, Hellcat, Mustang GT and Tesla.
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 2:05pm
Daemon, I really don't want to do a roll cage but I know that the car would be easily into the 6 second range in the 1/8th mile. I ran high 7's low 8's in the 1/8th with hard compound street tires and that was with the 360 NA. Since then I have nearly doubled the HP/TQ. Anyway, they were already looking at me funny with the 360 but didn't say anything. I guess because it was a test and tune at a car show they were hosting. If it had been a race they probably would have kicked me off the track.

This is my main reason for auto-x at least they wouldn't make me add a cage for the solo. They may make me add one if I start ripping it at the big track but we will see.
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 3:26pm
DaemonForce,
I went through this process in preparation to run a couple Optima events.
If my car were under construction I would have put a removable 4-point bar in it so I could get some roll-over protection, and a proper place to put a harness.

I noticed that many part-time track/auto-x guys use a harness bar. So I fabricated one using roll cage construction techniques and materials. It mounts to the 4 points that the stock seat belts use.
It puts the shoulder harness at the proper angle, It passes tech for OUSCA events.

The bar is three pieces, so it can be removed easily and I can use my back seat.
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 3:37pm
Sharp,

I have to ask, Did you find your shift boot somewhere or did you make that? I need one for my Javelin with the console as well since I have the TKO also in mine. My one issue is that the stock auto shift plate left a hole about 7" long and everything that I seem to be finding at least that long is mega wide too. If you have any details on how you went about making your boot I would appreciate it because that looks like it came in the car.
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by ghinmi ghinmi wrote:

And with a different driver.  He's a ton better driver than me, just had a hard time getting used to the locker in some of the low speed corners.

What springs are in the locker? Lighter springs may help.
Locker Springs
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 8:50pm
Yep, those are the springs I'm running.  Ron recommended them so it was a no-brainer.  I didn't have any problems with it.  On the tight turns it'll turn great if you're completely off the throttle, rotate well if you're hard on the throttle, or push like crazy if you gently roll on the throttle.  He's used to sports cars with regular differentials so it was hard for him to get used to.
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2017 at 9:14am
Shootist, I made that shift boot from an old backpack "temporarily". It was the pattern that I was planning to then have made in leather. That was some 3 years ago now
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic