TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Tire Choices for Autocross/track days

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2017 at 8:13pm
ROFLMAO. Western. I freaking loved that video. Yeah, it will be exactly like that. Tap gas, stomp brake, turn, tap gas, stomp brake, turn.

Limit power? pfffft, that is what your foot is for. Wink

My actual plan is to let her eat on the bigger tracks but I can see running more in autocross because they are regular events and local and I will only be able to get on the bigger tracks maybe 2 times a year. VIR (Virginia International Raceway) if the closest track to me that is a decent road course at just over 3 miles long. So, in order to have fun on a regular basis it will be autocross and maybe the dragstrip on occasion but I have tires for that.
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2017 at 12:30am
Once you figure out how to steer with the throttle, you've pretty much got it down. The only insane device or stabilizer I can think of in this case is something completely insane like a wheel RPM limiter, if such a thing is even a thing at these events. Ermm
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2017 at 8:50am
It is going to be fun learning the car all over again. I knew how it handled and drove before with the 360 and stock suspension but there have been a ton of changes made in the last 12-18 months. I have gone from a street/strip drag style to the high power multi-purpose pro-tour race/street type of setup. I appreciate all of the feedback from you guys that have ran these type events.

I do have one more very important question. With my car what class am I looking at and what tire and is the 200 treadwear rule even going to apply? Here is a list of mods that may make a difference.

1. Upgraded dynolite brakes
2. Supercharged motor
3. Tubular performance suspension
4. subframe connectors
5. Upgraded 9" rear end
6. Non-stock upgraded transmission
7. Non-stock upgraded rear brakes
8. Heavier sway bars front and rear
9. Double adjustable coilover shocks

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2017 at 9:51am
I have stock brakes, 2bbl 304, upgraded suspensions, triple adjustable shocks, stock rearend and I need to address my broken sway bar links today. For all events and purposes, there's no way this would pass tech right now but I can try qualifying as factory stock or saloon. You might be super street or pro stock just because of the engine, assuming you can unbolt the charger and jump from one class to another quickly.
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2017 at 9:05pm
I will not disable the supercharger, I will just take it for what it is. I am sort of a run what ya brung kind of guy. If it puts me against the top of the pack so be it. I am out to have fun and I built the car how I wanted it not how the rules wanted it. This really is more about my enjoyment over anything else. If I wind up competitive and hurting feelings cool, but that is really not my intention. I am trying more to see what this 1970's car can do against the rest and represent the A!M!C! BABY!
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2017 at 12:57am
In SCCA you would slot nicely into CAM-T.  It's basically an open class for pro touring type cars and trucks on 200 treadwear tires.  https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/010/078/2016_CAM_handout_-_Rules_Final.pdf?1446494308

Goodguys events have a very similar class for your car as well.

Anything else, with your modifications you're going to fall into a pretty high class that allows a full R compound tire.
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2017 at 8:32am
Thanks Ghinmi. I will look more into what cars seem to be running that class locally. I am also fine with keeping another set of shoes handy with some good R compound mounted up. Just need to install a couple tire racks in the trailer. I am already going to be changing tires pretty regular depending on what I want to do. The 200 treadwear will likely be the everyday tires as well as the ones used in the CAM-T class as you mentioned. If I get to an event where I would be in a class with the bigger boys I can change over to the trackstar shoes. I will also keep a good set of drag radial rears handy in case a drag race breaks out.
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2017 at 9:40am
I'll let you know how CAM-T is this weekend, got my first event coming up.  They're combining all CAM classes so I'll be up against some real stiff competition, plus it's my first event.  I'm guaranteed to be the quickest Jeep there though, lol.
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2017 at 11:06pm
I have seen guys running drag radials at this type of event and they seem to work fairly well even though they are not reccomended for this type of use. I don't think you could run 30 laps on them, but for short sprints they might work.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2017 at 12:20am
Originally posted by shootist shootist wrote:

I am already going to be changing tires pretty regular depending on what I want to do. The 200 treadwear will likely be the everyday tires as well as the ones used in the CAM-T class as you mentioned.

This is exactly what you want. I'm not supposed to be driving the stock car during the off season but tend to stick to one tire package as a result and a set of 200-A-A Summer radials works wonders when it's the stickiest tire available. Just remember to check your alignment often and you'll be great.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic