TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Tire Choices for Autocross/track days

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire Choices for Autocross/track days
    Posted: Apr/27/2017 at 10:38am
I would like to hear from those of you running modified suspensions what tires you are running and what are your pros/cons you have found? I am running the control freak IFS up front, subframe connectors, Control Freak rear four-link and ford 9", sway bars front and rear. Really trying to determine what tires seem to perform best with similar mods on our cars. All input is appreciated.

I will be running the car in whatever class it fits in and this is more for me and less about taking first (although I am ok with hurting feelings). The car is supercharged with modified suspension but still has stock interior for the most part (upgraded front seats). There is no cage in the car but considering adding a 4-point just for added strength to help prevent body twist.

Thougts guys/gals?
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2017 at 4:22pm
Whatever you end up going with, I'd suggest a 200 or greater treadwear tire.  That lets you run SCCA CAM, Goodguys autocross, etc.  Anything softer either doesn't let you run or puts you in a class with the big boys.
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
iapexl8r View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iapexl8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2017 at 11:26am
the rim size is going to dictate what tires are available. need this info before any recomendation is made.

Chris
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2017 at 10:41am
I would strongly suggest the Falken AZENIS If your running a 17" or larger radial tire. 200 treadwear, reasonable price, lots of fast Optima competitors use them.

http://www.falkentire.com/tires/passenger-car-tires/azenis-rt615k-tire
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2017 at 3:34pm
Will definitely be a 17" wheel up front and tire size for the front I am looking at a 245/45-17. For the back I am really torn. I wanted to go 17" rear as well but looking like an 18" rear will provide better tire options and will not look to noticably different from the front because sidewall height is identical. The 18" rear tire I am looking at 275/40-18 and will add 1" diameter while the sidewall will be the 4.3" height and the same as the 17" in the front. If I were to stay with a 17" wheel all around it is going to put me looking at 255/50-17 which gives me just over an inch more diameter and also sacrifices my width by almost an inch. That said, I am leaning towards an 18" on the rear. I just don't want to make a by of something that I wish I would have changed later.

So, with that said. What brand and tire are you guys seeing out there perfoming well with at least a 200 wear rating. I was looking at Nitto, Falken, Michelin, Dunlop, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Hankook, Mickey Thompson, Firestone and Continental. There are just so many brand choices out there it makes it tough to know what would work best on our cars.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 8:13pm
Bridgestone RE- whatever the new model is are about the best for autocross as of about a year ago.  Look up the winners tire choice.  I had the RE-11s, awesome tire, but can't remember the new number .  The new model will not last much more than 10K , check tire rack.  This is basically a "cheater" tire for autocross.
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 9:26pm
That is one that I was leaning toward. I actually had the tire on a Lexus IS350 as the stock tire and I got about 15-20k out of them with reasonable driving. I was certainly not hammering on them daily nor putting them through more than occasional spirited driving. I can see that they would certainly not last more than 10k with any competitive driving. The other that I have heard really good reviews on is the Michelin Pilot PS2
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by 343sharpstick 343sharpstick wrote:

I would strongly suggest the Falken AZENIS If your running a 17" or larger radial tire. 200 treadwear, reasonable price, lots of fast Optima competitors use them.

http://www.falkentire.com/tires/passenger-car-tires/azenis-rt615k-tire

This was the very first thing I decided upon once I got the 71 Javelin unloaded from the dolly. I had a horrific nightmare of mismatched wheel and tire sizes and needed an immediate fix. I decided the wheel package would be 18" US Mags U107 and staggered 8" wide up front and 9" wide in the rear. Tire package was Falken Azenis RT-615K with 225/40 and 275/35. The front may be slightly too wide but it still feels like the rear is lacking. On the stock 5L I'm able to break loose these big sticky tires on dry pavement. I wonder if this behavior goes away on the strip.

Anyway, since choosing this wheel and tire package, there has been an update to the Azenis line. RT-615K+ is the new flagship product. I wonder what has improved since then.
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 10:46pm
What was your nightmare with mismatched wheel and tire sizes?
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2017 at 2:47am
14" wheel and 15" wheel on the rear, with rotted mismatching tire sizes that don't even this out. Thin spares up front that were also differing sizes on top of being so small that they didn't clear the brake calipers, thus permanently locking the front wheels. It was nearly impossible to unload this car from the dolly because of all this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic