TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Timing cover

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sasyamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing cover
    Posted: Sep/17/2014 at 6:44pm
I need some help deciding which cover to use, it's going on a 401 with a solid roller cam, using a machine bolt as the anti walk stop , and will be running a Romac balancer .The first one is a stock 68 cover that ran good in my 68 had good oil , the second one is a 69 one that i got with a motor i never use , and the third is off a late model 360 , the timing marks are different . I notice the first one looks like the cam bolt ate a little  , would this hurt my anti cam walk button ?.Thanks,second, third  
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2014 at 7:19pm

The third one looks best to me.

SKeown
sasyamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sasyamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2014 at 7:32pm
I was thinking the third , but were the timing marks are different i didn't know if they would line up still, and another question is how much play do i want on the cam button , i heard .010 is what you want , the motor i have been set up once for already but i want to check the play when i get to that point, would it be best to make a new button with like a plastic cap on the end of it or just leave the machine bolt i got in it . or buy the cam retainer kit they sale .Thanks
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2014 at 8:05pm
End play .005-.008 no more then .015
sasyamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sasyamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2014 at 9:18pm
Thanks, whats the best way to check that , plastic gauge , or a indicator on the cam lobe threw the valley and move the cam . 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2014 at 9:46pm
Dial indicator on rear of cam. Core plug removed with timing chain, modified cam bolt, and timing cover assembled check end play, adjust as needed. 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2014 at 10:09pm
Just wanted to make sure you knew when I said timing chain and cover you know I meant as it would be on final assembly to include cover gasket, fuel pump eccentric, distributor gear, the entire assembly for accuracy on end play. 
sasyamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sasyamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 8:55pm
I just notice the third one has a bigger front seal in it than the others ,or the outer hole is bidder that the seal sits in .
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 9:07pm

The later covers were designed to allow the seals to be replaced without removing the cover, the seals are the same. Use the late cover and verify TDC of the damper on the timing marks.

SKeown
bvpotash1 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bvpotash1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 9:09pm
I would think twice about using that Romac  balancer. They are cheap and they never fit right.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic