TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Timing cover seal size??? HELP (fixed pics)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickyboada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing cover seal size??? HELP (fixed pics)
    Posted: Nov/07/2018 at 10:25am
Hey everyone, I just recently signed up but have been coming here for advice and reading for years so thank you all for the knowledge so far.

I'm rebuilding the 304 that came in my '77 Jeep CJ5. 

I cant seem to find the right front crank seal. By application the outside diameter is 2.74 and the opening I have is 2.36.

Part number I have now is 710447. Its way bigger than what I previously had. Machine shop took it off so I dont have the old one for reference :(

Does anyone know if these brought different sizes at one point? Or a part number I should be looking at? I've attached some pictures of my engine for reference.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Edited by rickyboada - Nov/14/2018 at 11:29am
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2018 at 11:16am
The proper seal size comes with a timing cover kit, also the kit comes with a balancer sleeve for the balancer to seal well against the seal.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
rickyboada View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickyboada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2018 at 11:24am
My timing cover was in really good shape and didn't want to get a new one with the horror stories on here. 

Engine is already all put together and complete just missing this last piece to get rolling  Ermm

ANYONE?? 

Edited by rickyboada - Nov/08/2018 at 2:05pm
rickyboada View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickyboada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2018 at 8:36pm
Bump..... still having no luck with this 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2018 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by rickyboada rickyboada wrote:

Bump..... still having no luck with this 

Go to rock auto and select 79 amc AMX with a 304. Go to engine and look for timing cover seal. They fit all amc gen 2 and gen 3, just late covers install from the front, while 60s and 70s install from the rear of the cover.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
303Y03 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Y03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2018 at 8:55pm
Can not see picture of your timing cover.
Seal may have to be installed first from back,before timing cover is put on the engine?
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2018 at 8:59pm
I'm pretty sure the seal goes in from inside the cover on a 77.  Some of the late production covers could be inserted from the outside.   If the cover was installed without the seal, it will need to be removed.  As far as I know, there is only one seal size for every Gen2 and Gen3 V8 from 66-91.

I just opened a new Fel-Pro complete gasket kit, and the seal is a National 710447.  The seal you have is correct.

Bob
tufcj

Edited by tufcj - Nov/13/2018 at 9:15pm
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2018 at 9:02pm
I slept at the Green Lite on the Tree and tufcj beat me by "this much"... LOL

What is the O.D. of the the National Brand number 710447 Seal ?
On RockAuto it also list a TIMKEN Brand Seal Number 472341 for the Timing Cover to Crank.
On the Timken site it shows 2.748 O.D. for that Seal.... uh.... wait a minute...
"Early" Timing Chain Covers have a "Lip" and require the Crank Seal to go in from the INSIDE...
the Seal can NOT be removed or driven in from the Front / Outside... because of the "Lip"...
iirc at some point AMC did make a change so the Seal could be changed with engine assembled...
and some folks remove the outer "Lip" on "old" Covers to allow the same...
So... is it that you've installed the Timing Cover and it has the "Lip"...
and unfortunately you'll have to remove it to install the Crank Seal from the Inside... ?
Bummer dude, not a major bummer, but a bummer none the less...

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Nov/13/2018 at 9:07pm
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2018 at 9:45pm
I don't see the oil slingger 
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 5:54am
Originally posted by rickyboada rickyboada wrote:

My timing cover was in really good shape and didn't want to get a new one with the horror stories on here. 

Engine is already all put together and complete just missing this last piece to get rolling  Ermm

ANYONE?? 

I'm pretty sure the dude was talking about a timing cover GASKET AND SEAL kit...not buying a new timing cover just for the seal.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic