TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Timing cover gasket set

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing cover gasket set
    Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 6:51pm
Ok, guys who know.  What brand of gasket kit works like it should?  Any to avoid?
bcsideshow View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 7:01pm
Used a couple felpro recently with no issues.
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
jrsjav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrsjav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 8:34pm
Ditto on the felpro.
Life's too short to be stock!!
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2019 at 12:12am
Go with FelPro # 260-1151 Gasket Set, pass on the # FS8266-PT4 Gasket Set 
71 Javelin AMX O.O. View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71 Javelin AMX O.O. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2019 at 7:09am
Could you give me what procedure or gasket sealer you find that works the best?
Do you put the gasket on the cover first and then use the sealer to the block side and install?
Is that Felpro number directly from Felpro or another vendor?
Steve
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71 Javelin AMX O.O. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2019 at 7:21am
Couldn't find the #260-1151 when I accessed the Felpro web site site.
Came up with #45271 for the 401 V-8.
Steve
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2019 at 7:58am
The bluish colored Felpro is the best one. They come in several different kits. Including one with a sleeve for the seal that rides on the harmonic balancer. 

I put them on dry, except for around the water jacket passages. Haven''t had any trouble.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2019 at 2:31pm
Those FelPro Numbers are AMC Gasket SETS (better value imho) ~$45 and ~$94 respectively.
Google those specific Fel Pro part numbers and see what comes up.
I did not post the FelPro part number for the Timing Cover Gasket alone by its self
or for the Timing Chain Change "Kit", but however you prefer to get the needed gaskets.
The ~$45 # 260-1151 FelPro Kit is hard to beat for price, value, and what all you get in it.
There are many opinions and methods of how to install the Gasket.
I always try to use just a very thin film of whatever is used.
Obviously confirm both Locating Dowel Pins are in place and at proper height.
One of the 2 Pins, lower driver's side, can "get in the way" of an Oil Pan Bolt End iirc.
Suggest checking all mounting fasteners for under head dimensions verses part thickness
to confirm / ensure actual part clamping when bolt is tightened and BEFORE it bottoms out in tapped hole
since most all bolts go in blind tapped holes, and there are various length bolts / studs.

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Mar/22/2019 at 2:43pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71 Javelin AMX O.O. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2019 at 2:55pm
PHAT69AMX
I see that that Fel Pro number is for more than just the timing chain cover gasket. I just want the gaskets to replace the timing chain cover as I have a coolant leak. That was what lead to the addition question as to what to seal the gasket with? Putting it on dry seems like your asking for trouble and in the past I've use gasket sealing material that does not harden. So I was thinking of using Right Stuff at the bottom of the cover where the oil pan is, and maybe a thin coat on the rest of the gasket to block. I'm planning to just loosen the oil pan bolts to drop the oil pan so I can pull the timing cover off the set pins and install it back.
Steve
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2019 at 3:27pm
Steve,

Not a fan of just installing the timing cover gasket, but you have the cards you are dealt and understand you don't want to take anymore apart.      The job is all about the prep....clean all surfaces with brake clean after gasket removal....tap all the holes, make sure all the bolts thread easily.....including the water pump bolts, have the water pump gasket surfaces prepped too.  I first trim about 1/16-1/8" off the bottom of the gasket.  The front gasket always needs slightly trimmed when you put it together first and then the oil pan....it is made intentionally long to trim.   I always put a very thin film of Ultra Blue Silicone on the gasket, block side of gasket, place it over the 2 dowel pins and then put thin coat on the side that will contact the timing cover.  I NEVER use the small oil pan gasket pieces...had way to many leak there and seen way to many leak there.....rather, put a very large bead of Ultra Blue Silicone on the corner and down the each pan rail.  Immediately install the timing cover with the water pump installed and torque it down.   Wait at least 12 hours before putting coolant in the engine and starting......I have had 100% leak free experience with this method over 20+ years.....I don't think the brand of gasket matters, I have used them all, I do really like the Blue Felpro ones.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic