TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Tilt Steering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR291 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tilt Steering
    Posted: Jan/15/2019 at 10:04am
I am looking to add tilt steering to my 74 AMX. The interchange guide states that only columns from 73/74 are interchangeable. Has anyone else put one in from an earlier year and if so were there any modifications required. Thanks.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2019 at 4:30am
The 70 to 74 are pretty much the same. There are slight differences in the linkage and interlocks to remove the key. Manual vs auto, some have a small lever on the side near the key that must be pushed down to remove key. It will depend on how correct you want the car to be. There also some GM columns that can be installed, although not a bolt in.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2019 at 7:12am
You're going to have at least as good a time finding a '73/74 one as you will a 70/72, because the Hornet/Gremlin one should be the same, and tilt columns were slowly growing in popularity.

Finding a '70 is about like finding hen's teeth right now

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
73amx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2019 at 1:33pm
I am looking to change to a tilt column as well.  I have had no luck in finding any.  I was told that a GM column could be used with minor changes.  Does anyone know what GM column that would be?

Thanks!
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2019 at 1:43pm
The AMC column was made by Saginaw, Division GM......there are a ton of parts that interchange but I am not aware of a direct interchange.  Saginaw built columns for most non Ford/Chrysler cars that were built during the day.  Studebaker even used Saginaw....but the GM applications are just as rare as a Studebaker, so not much help.......

Just FYI, as some stated earlier in this thread, but I will emphasize more...73 is a unique column and 74 is a unique column.  Most important 74 has the Interlock lever next to the key/ignition tumbler...that makes them even harder to find.....especially in other floor shift models.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
73amx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2019 at 2:05pm
Thanks 401,

My 73 "standard" column does have the lever next to the ignition to remove the key.  I am having such a hard time finding a factory "tilt" column that I am starting to seriously look at the GM option.  I am not as concerned with the "factory correct" option but I do want it to look halfway decent.

Does anyone know the length of the factory column? 
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2019 at 4:23pm
There used to be a nice how to article on the old AMC forum on swapping in a Jeep Cherokee tilt column. This would be a pre airbag column. It looked like an easy swap. Sadly that forum is no more. But, the AMC'er that came up with the swap sometimes posts here. He goes by needafasteramx.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic