TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Throwout Bearing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throwout Bearing?
    Posted: Sep/10/2017 at 6:42pm
Had a blast in Pigeon Forge Friday and Saturday with the AMX - at least until I started to leave the show Saturday. Started the car up to leave and as I was letting out the clutch to take off it made a god awful grinding noise. Tried several times and same results. I could ride the clutch a bit to get her rolling but as soon as I let it out the grinding started. It would continue for 20-25 seconds after pushing the clutch back in and then stop - until I'd try letting it out again. I'm thinking throw out bearing - any thoughts?
Had no pre warning of any type of clutch - drive train issue. Friday we cruised the Blvd a bit - which is basically bumper to bumper clutch in, clutch partly out, clutch back in... etc. Going into the show Saturday morning was the same type of drive for a good 40-45mins.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2017 at 7:01pm
Sounds like the throw out bearing. I had an old Toyota Hilux truck with the same problem and your description sounds identical.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2017 at 3:37pm
Looking for parts today and it looks like the T10 was different from 68-9 and 70-74? Guess I'll need to get some numbers off my tranny to try and determine what year it is. Anyone out there from Western NC or Eastern TN that knows of a good repair shop versed in T-10 work?
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2017 at 3:57pm
The OD of the front bearing retainer snout is different between the two year ranges.  That results in two different throw out bearings.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2017 at 7:35pm
Do you know what the diameter difference is? Summit and JEGs list a 1.125" diameter for the 1970 AMX but my car has a 1971 401 in it. I was under the impression that the diameter change occurred after 1969?

Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2017 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Bandana Bandana wrote:

Do you know what the diameter difference is? Summit and JEGs list a 1.125" diameter for the 1970 AMX but my car has a 1971 401 in it. I was under the impression that the diameter change occurred after 1969?

From my memory, the 68/9 came with a larger front bearing cap that the throwout bearing slides over. 1970 and later came with the smaller front bearing cap, and takes a smaller inside diameter throwout bearing. I would have to measure , and the parts aren't here in front of me.

I remember that the aftermarket Super T-10 uses the same smaller diameter throwout bearing. If Summit and Jeg's lists one for the aftermarket Super T-10, it should be the same size throwout as the stock AMC T-10 used from 1970 and later.

Edited by Sonic Silver - Sep/12/2017 at 8:47pm
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2017 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Bandana Bandana wrote:

Looking for parts today and it looks like the T10 was different from 68-9 and 70-74? Guess I'll need to get some numbers off my tranny to try and determine what year it is. Anyone out there from Western NC or Eastern TN that knows of a good repair shop versed in T-10 work?
I am in East Tennessee, and had Ian (Kirkwood) rebuild 2 for me.
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2017 at 8:14pm
Sonic Silver - PM'd you on the lead. I'm hoping of course the problem is simply a throw out bearing - and hopefully without a messed up clutch / pressure plate, but always good to have someone that knows these transmissions and drive trains do the work if possible.

mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2017 at 8:30pm
It is the inside diameter of the bearing COLLAR that is different. The actual bearing is the same and pressed onto different diameter COLLARS. People often refer to the "throw out bearing" as being different but it is the COLLAR that is different. The throwout bearing included in a clutch package is made from a COLLAR and a bearing. The '68/9 bearing retainer on the transmission (the snout that the T/O collar and bearing slide upon) is a larger diameter than '70 and up. A '68/9 will fit (and rattle like heck) 0n a '70 and up bearing retainer (the tranny part). A '70+ will not fit unless the bearing retainer has been changed.
Mike
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2017 at 9:06pm
Thanks much for the info. Great info. Guess I still need to determine what year my tranny is before doing anything.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic