TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Thoughts on this body damage?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rebel Alliance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts on this body damage?
    Posted: Apr/25/2017 at 1:01pm
I get rust, what I can tolerate, what I can't, and what it costs to fix.

I know nothing of actual collision body work. This is a bad hit, but I'd love some thoughts on just how much cost would be involved in repair this? The rest of the car looks minty (literally and figuratively)

tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2017 at 3:10pm
 A good old school bodyman would remove that bumper, and fender extension,  and pull most of that buckle out with a Pull-Dozer.
What troubles me more than the big buckles by the bumper, is what looks like a small buckle up by the rear door, just below the vinyl top moulding,  or that may  be just a shadow.

Or if you're adverse to any amount of filler being put in that quarter panel another panel could be welded in,  but where you'd find another quarter panel for that car I have no idea.

That bumper would probably have to be replaced,  but in a desperate situation could be straightened and rechromed,  but super expensive,  but so would a replacement bumper.

I never do estimates by photo,   and when the insurance company does it by photos,  theirs aren't no fun to have to work by either.
Damage estimates are by the number of hours estimated to be involved in the repair, times whatever the labor rate is at that shop.   Labor rates vary widely in the USA,  and you're in Canada.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2017 at 5:55pm
I bet one or more of the big junkyards in Arizona would have a replacement quarter panel. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2017 at 6:41pm
The car appears to be in beautiful condition. A good body shop should be able to work that quarter panel back into shape rather than having to replace the quarter panel. You should be able to locate the tail lamp lens and the other small bits from the AMC vendors and/or here on the Forum.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2017 at 7:00pm
It's totaled but I will give you $250 for the whole thing. Just kidding. It is similar to what my Javelin took from an inept rollback driver years ago that failed to secure the car properly and it rolled back into his cab protector. But like previously mentioned, a good pull from the rear on a frame machine got the buckle out and then it was hammer and dolly with very light skim of bondo near the back. Definitely repairable.
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2017 at 8:54pm
that in my opinion is very repairable.  its going to take some frame work and some tin work time, and you are going to have to remove the vinyl top. depends on your skill level and budget.
23baseball3 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23baseball3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2017 at 10:34pm
Looks repairable but it'll be a pretty labor intensive job.
1979 Spirit AMX 304/4 Speed AC
2005 Volvo V70R
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2017 at 12:25am
Without the advantage of surveying the extent of the damage, I predict a good body and paint shop will estimate the repair costs well over $4,500.00 in parts and labor.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
The Rebel Alliance View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rebel Alliance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2017 at 1:44am

Thanks for all the comments - I was thinking in real life at least $3k+, and costs always go over.

It's a good sober second thought. I'd love to get a 1st gen Matador, and this is amongst my favorite colour but purchase + shipping + importation + exchange and taxes + body work = wrong time. Probably.

Even all in, it' still cheaper than that brown $12k one that's always for sale.
401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2017 at 4:28pm
That quarter is toast. The extension mount surfaces and inner structure will never be the same. Still alot of sedans in yards and that style ran from 70-78 in Mattys and Ambos as well I would source a rear section from the front of the filler door back and graft it in. Pretty nice Matty there in my favorite grasshopper green color.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic