TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Topic ClosedThis AMC V8 forum is for AMC-designed and....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: This AMC V8 forum is for AMC-designed and....
    Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 1:53pm
manufactured V8 engines.
It's not about other brands.
If it's not an AMC made V8, since this is an AMC specific forum and not called "all makes and models" -  then it's off-topic, correct?

Otherwise we have all of the world's car people asking questions about their Datsun I6 in the AMC engine areas and those poor members who are looking for info about AMC made engines are lost in the clutter of other stuff.
Like a library or any other place that has organized information - organized to keep it tidy and easier to find, you don't file the Z under A.
It's really quite simple. You'd not ask your aunt about male menopause.... ask your uncle. (unless your aunt used to be your uncle but that's under a different heading I suspect)
Or ask a Netware server administrator about how to configure share rights on Windows Server 2008R2?
(frankly I am trying to rationalize the reason for some questions, and can only come up with a very very short list...... which I won't get into)

If you wish to power YOUR car with something non-AMC, it's YOUR car, but isn't it odd to ask AMC folks about a Ford or Chrysler or whatever?
If you ask AMC folks about other makes you will get a lot different answers than you would from the CHEVY folks who know their engines inside and out. You would, IMO, get second-best answers unless the AMC person is a closet Ford or Chevy fan disguised as an AMC fan to infiltrate... never mind....
It's only logical, eh?
If you want a correct answer about other brands - best to ask those experts, few of them could give good solid info on AMC stuff.

There are times I question the reason for a question - and the timing and placement of same.... especially when there are fantastic resources there as easy to access with more specific information.
I guess that's the old psychology training coming out in me (or the cold drugs wearing off??)

No, nothing mean about it - it's keeping a forum organized and on-task and on-purpose and direction and actually giving SOUND advice so that someone can get GOOD SOLID RELIABLE information on other makes from the experts who know those other makes far better.
Isn't it not being un-mean to suggest a person get good info from the best sources and stick with the purpose of a forum's specific sections?
Or was your mother a nasty mean so-and-so for telling you to not walk on the freshly refinished wood floor with muddy feet?
Or was she just trying to keep the house neat and the wood floors nice for all to enjoy?
Is it mean to suggest that there's far better information out there, or to fake it with second best info just to be answering and making conversation?

I think I'll go ask the Pepsi fellow what flavor brandy goes best with diet coke....... likely to get an interesting response there, eh?
He'd likely suggest blackberry brandy with 7Up. HA
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 1:57pm

uh oh, Bill, you have reopened a can of worms......however, I agree with you.

1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 3:26pm

Thumbs Up 

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
hoosieramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 3:52pm
I agree 100%!
67RogueX-Code View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 3:54pm
Absolutely! But you forgot the part about showing these trolls to the door.
Bob Wilcox

67RogueX-Code
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 5:14pm
You need a sticky at the top of the forum that states all none AMC engine questions will be deleted. Yes you have trolls, then you have the one's who love to feed them.
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 5:33pm
Adding a Franken Nash chat room for those that feel compelled
to re-power their old Nash Can might be a good thing.
Look at the bright side. A Chebby or Toyota powered Rambler
keeps Another AMC out of the bone yard and on the road.

But we do have Trolls...
Gremlin Dreams
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 5:39pm
My 2 cents worth.

I know it might upset the purists, but how about a separate section for brand x-questions and dare I say engine swaps. The people who are offended by this sort of stuff can then avoid this section altogether and not go in there starting arguments. You can't go to a Mopar of GM forum and get specific answers on what is needed to fit one of their engines in to your AMC body. One detailed thread on on all of the things required to install a 350 Chev into their classic AMC might be enough to discourage most people from going down this path and show others who insist on doin it how to do it with the least possibe amount of irreversible damage to the car so that an AMC enthusiast can put it right some time in the future.

As an example, Aussie Hornets were only ever offered with 6 cylinder engines and many of them only survive today because they were fitted with brand-x V8's reather than being scrapped when the original inline six gave out.

I like my AMCs of pure blood like most of us, but I am also a big fan of late model high tech engines into older cars and would love to see details of what others have done with their AMC cars. We don't seem to get too upset by people running GM transmissions or Ford rear ends in their AMC cars. 

I also know there are many knowlegable people on here who have owned and/or worked on many brand-x cars, so a quick question here might avoid the hassle of having to find another forum to sign up too. Let's not have people sign up here and for their first question ask how to fix their Ford Exploder, but maybe a long term forum member can ask a quick question to get him or herself out of a bind.

Variety is the spice of life as they say. 
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 5:49pm
I agree with billd.       As for other engines other than AMC, Theres forums for those.
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 6:00pm
Thumbs Up

Edited by dltowers - Oct/16/2014 at 8:43pm
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic